Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:22:27 -0400

I have been wondering, do you have preferences and pointers on the alternate
flours?

For instance, while I like teff, millet, and amaranth, quinoa tastes and
smells like burnt hair to me.  I've tried many times but just cannot make
myself eat this stuff.  Does anyone else experience this?  Able to disguise
it?  I know it's supposed to be debittered, but ick.

I used to have a similar aversion to soy, but that was more due to the fact
that my little brother had serious and numerous allergies growing up
(including (breast)milk) and would throw up at least once a day (he uses a
soy product for milk) until he was around 7, less frequently after that
until he mostly grew out of his allergies around 12.  I associated the smell
of soy with, well you know.

I like sorghum, but it's a little sweet for some uses.

I shouldn't have corn, so I use a modified version of one of the more
popular flour blends when making home made breads - I usually substitute the
corn starch with a blend of sweet rice flour and amaranth.  Speaking of
that, I MISS cornbread.  Anyone thought up a good alternative?  I was
thinking rice flour & sorghum but didn't know if anyone else has already
tried and succeeded.  Chili isn't the same with just crackers.

I really love Bette Hagman's books, but she favors the chickpea/fava blend
flour - I simply cannot have chickpeas.  I tried for three months to
acclimate myself to it and finally gave up.  Has anyone subbed, say, pure
fava flour or something else?  I don't know if fava flour has an off taste
in large amounts - that may be why it's sold with chickpea flour, and why I
can't find it at any local stores.

Has anyone made anything with white or navy bean flour, pea flour, or
montina?  I have small quantities of these flours and have been mulling over
what I could try them in.  I was thinking of using the white bean flour in
place of the chickpea flour.

Has anyone tried the rice flours available from Lotus foods, were they worth
it?

--
I should say that, while it's blindingly obvious to me and those around me
that gluten is a big nono, I do not have a diagnosis from my doctor.  I do

Thanks much!

-t