From:
Dara Skydancer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:21:45 -0500

Below are the responses I got from asking if anyone else had wheat eating
dreams.  Wow.  there are a lot of us.  It makes me feel better knowing I'm
not the only one with wheat filled nightmares <s>. (not that i would wish
nightmares on anyone, but it proves i'm not a "freak")
Thank you all for writing.

Dara

[log in to unmask] (Don Wiss) wrote:

I had some in my first six months to a year on the GF diet. I considered
them nightmares.
[log in to unmask] wrote:

A little weird, isn't it?

Mine are usually the "eating a sandwich and suddenly remembering" type,
rather than the choice between sickness and starvation type.

The most recent dream, as I recall, had me eating Oreo cookies.

I was diagnosed about 5.5 years ago, and the dreams have really dropped off
in frequency over that time.
[log in to unmask] (Heather Murphy) wrote:

Yes, I have similar dreams all the time, and normally wake up expecting a
reaction. It's really awful. I too attribute the dreams to anxiety.
Living with this kind of chronic condition is exhausting, in that it
requires constant attention to detail. I think these dreams reflect our
anxiety caused by the vigilant behavior we've assumed as part of our new gf
lifestyles.

I often have dreams that I start eating something that I don't realize
contains gluten, and halfway through I realize it and then have to wait
patiently for the gluten to attack my stomach and make me miserable for
days. Awful.

After two years being gf, the dreams continue, although they aren't as
frequent as they were right after diagnosis.

Good to know I'm not the only one out there experiencing this. Thanks for
posting.
[log in to unmask] (MRS JOANNE R EGGLESTON) wrote:

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in dreaming about
eating wheat.

I have found that when I was initially diagnosed I really had a great
fear of ingesting gluten accidentally.  The way it affects me
mentally is far worse than spending some hours in the bathroom!

I have realized though that as time goes by (two years now as celiac)
I really don't experience these dreams near as often.  I know that I
am fairly confident in my gluten free diet and that actually having
this happen is very minute.

I was glad you posted this question.  It's nice to know I'm not alone
in these dreams!  Thanks for posting!  Hope my input makes you feel a
little better.
[log in to unmask] (Colleen McNeil) wrote:

        I too have had anxiety dreams, usually when I have been reading
late at night about the side effects and related disorders of celiac
disease.  Sometimes in my dreams I imagine horrible new side effects to CD,
like gigantic hands and feet or severe facial malformations.
        Do your dreams coincide with accidentally ingesting some gluten?
It appears as if a gluten reaction could cause some hormonal imbalances,
which would contribute to the disturbing aspects of our dreams.  When I
have been gluten free for long periods, I don't seem to have these anxiety
dreams, but this could be a coincidence.
[log in to unmask] (Marvin Pollard) wrote:

Add me to the list of gluten intolerants who have had a dream about
eating a wheat containing substance. I can't say that the dream recurs
frequently or that it was disturbing when I had it.
[log in to unmask] (Julie Thomas) wrote:

In reference to Wheat Dreams:
I have them all the time.  I am chowing down on something and all of the
sudden realize that it is wheat- containing (like bread or pizza). I
personally wake up in a cold sweat.
[log in to unmask] (Kathy Harden) wrote:

Dear Dara:  My wheat dreams are always ones where I just "forget" that I
have CD and I'll eat some wheat-containing product.  It usually is one I'm
not even wild about.  I wake up annoyed, knowing I'll be sick, until I
remember that it was just a dream.  My kids have picked up on this and will
ask me things like, "Would you rather eat squished ants and bees on a rotten
apple or a loaf of bread?" What a choice!  I get sick enough from bread that
I probably would choose squished bugs...