Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:44:51 EDT

I recieved several responses to my query regarding flutamide.  One of the
most helpful I copy below:

Casodex is the brand name for a formulation with the active ingredient

bicalutamide. According to the 2002 PDR, inactive ingredients in the tablet

are lactose, magnesium stearate, methylhydroxypropylcellulose, polyethylene

glycol, povidone, sodium starch glycollate, and titanium dioxide. Of those,

it is possible that the sodium starch glycollate could be of (indirect and

much processed) wheat origin. I recommend calling the company, AstraZeneca,

at 1-800-2369-9933

Flutamide is a different drug (brand name Eulexin). Inactive ingredients in

these capsules are corn starch, lactose, magnesium stearate, povidone, and

sodium lauryl sulfate. The gelatin capsules thems elves may contain benzyl

alcohol, butylparaben, colloidal silicon dioxide, edetate calcium disodium,

methylparaben, propylparaben, and sodium propionate, as well as dyes (FD&C

Blue #1, Red#3, yellow #6, titanium dioxide, black ink) and "other inactive

ingredients." in my experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing (and taking

lots of meds) capsules are a lower risk formulation than tablets in general.

The phone number for Schering is 1-800-526-4099 (that's the medical

information line; customer service is 1-800-222-7579)

Casodex is listed as GF in the Stokes "Guide Through the Medicine Cabinet"
manual, though not lactose free.

I called Schering-Plough and was told that the capsules are GF.

I am not a pharmacist or physician and the usual disclaimers apply.

TDVic