From:
Debbie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2010 19:33:20 -0400

Yes. 12 yrs ago, with Fosomax, exercise and supplements. But it did go back
to osteopenia over a period of ten years, and has crossed to osteoporosis,
which I attribute to having been deficient in vit. D, but not knowing it
until 2 yrs ago. I could not continue on Fosomax after one year. I had to
switch to Evista, which seems to have stopped working this year. I am now on
Boniva infusions, but it is too early to tell if they're working.  I have
been gf for decades, and I'm well past menopause. My asthma meds are known
for leaching calcium out of bone, so that's a running battle.

I don't know if anyone told you, but get a Vit. D hydroxy blood test and
take Vit. D3, not just D. Also, look into strontium and vit. K2. I haven't
begun either, but I'm hoping the Boniva infusions will do the trick, since I
did so well...bone-wise, on Fosomax. (Stomach couldn't handle oral form.)

Also watch your thyroid, which can affect bone. Oh, and avoid soft drinks
with phosphorus.....like cokes. That leaches Ca out of bones.
I was diagnosed with Osteopenia a number of years ago- was diagnosed with CD
when I was 31 ( I am now 50). I work out and eat well ( I follow Weight
Watchers) and have just added a balanced vitamin regimen to my diet. My last
two dexa scans have been completely normal- both pre vitamins. Any magic
answers? No- just follow the basics. I don't think that you can guarantee
success.
I did after about 5 years.  I was always active and went to the gym.  The
only thing that I have done
diffferently, other than being GF, was to add 2,000 IU of Vitamin D daily. I
do take 1,000 mg of Calcium as well.
I took Forteo brand teriparatide for 18 months along with calcium and
massive amounts of Vitamin D.
Warning: Massive Vitamin D can make you feel like you have eaten gluten.  I
recommend you buy Vitamin D gel caps, split them open, and pour the Vitamin
D into milk or orange juice.  My bones are now back to normal.  But remember
that women's bodies develop
osteopenia for a different reason than men.

I reversed it by supplementing with magnesium. Read about it here:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/640/1/Magnesium-Helps-Rebuild-Bones-in-Celiac-Disease-by-Ron-Hoggan/Page1.html

The way  I determined the dosage was to keep increasing it each day, by 50
mg. When I developed diarrhea I backed off by 50 mg and that is the dosage I
still take. I do take calcium now too, but I take it in the AM and I take
the magnesium with my evening meal.
A  very common mistake is taking calcium and magnesium or iron at the same
time. As they all reach the bloodstream by a similar process, they
essentially compete for absorption. Thus, taking Ca and Mg at the same time
reduces absorption of both.
1200 Calcium morning and evening + Actonel . . . progress has been very
good...............

Nov. 2007 I was dx with celiac.  Because of my family history I had 3 bone
scans done prior to celiac dx.Always showing 3-5% bone loss. After my small
bowel biopsy I had another bone scan and I had lost 9% in one year. The
doctors started me on Actonel once a week and gf diet. I had a follow up
bone scan  one year later.and my osteopenia had improved in the hip and
corrected in the spine. I walk 3 miles a day. I'm 54 so that is young for
osteopenia. I also take 50,000 Vitamin D and 1200 Calcium.

I did reverse it by taking 1500 mg of Calcium Citrate every day and by
ingesting the following soup:
2 1/2 lbs more or less of cow feet.  (Yes, cow feet: my butcher packages
them just like all the other choice cuts and people buy them!)

1 lb more or less of chicken bones or wings; veal bones will do also, though
they are a bit messier. Onion, carrot, celery, spices and other veggies to
taste; include a bay leaf for flavor.

No salt: use about 1 tsp cider vinegar (to leech out the calcium)

Cover with water, simmer for 5 to 6 hours, let cool.  Skim off the fat after
refrigeration and drink about a cup a day.

It has worked wonders for me and also for my internist's mother who has
terrible osteoporosis and cannot tolerate Fosomax.

My bone density improved greatly at the last check so I was removed from the
osteopoenia category and told not to come back for five years.

Chicken feet will do as well as cow feet but they are actually harder to
find.

It is an old traditional European peasant remedy for everything that affects
bones.