From:
Andrew Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:27:17 -0500

BlankHi everyone~ Here are the final results regarding my question about celiac diagnosis and being overweight.  Thank you so much for responding - I see the gastrologist next week (23rd).  Good news too - after sending a letter detailing my health history and my daughter's (too much to give at a short appointment) - our 11 yo daughter's appointment was moved from April 4th to FEBRUARY 28th!!!  We are very happy!  We hope to get to the bottom of this once and for all!  Dawn
~
I am an overweight celiac.  I have been overweight since about age 6.  I was diagnosed with DH at age 38.  My observations of the community lead me to wonder if people with DH tend to overweight.  I tried to ask this of a prominent expert and was dismissed as a person just looking for an excuse for my weight.
~
I was overweight.  I was eating 200 calories a day and gained weight.  I had to try several doctors before one believed I wasn't scarfing down cake and ice cream all day long.
~
I was diagnosed while clinicly obese.
~
I am but after receiving my blood tests and seeing how low I was in most nutrients, I suggested the doctor test me for Celiac not the other way around. So I probably don't count since it was a self diagnosis.
~
I was not overweight but I was not losing any weight either. My gastro said I couldn't be celiac because I wasn't overly thin or losing weight. Luckily my pediatrician made him still test me and I turned out celiac. And I don't have any problems keeping weight on now... So weight loss isn't the only way to be for undiagnosed celiacs. I think I was probably taking in enough calories (I could always eat as much as my brothers) because I was not anemic either, so I was absorbing enough despite having enough amage that the lab report came back with "villous atrophy" written on it - so the gastro couldn't argue with that. Of course he told me I could cheat once in a while and it probably wouldn't hurt me - he was completely uneducated - this was almost ten years ago now but I think it is still happening!
~
I was diagnosed about two years ago and am about 40 pounds overweight. It seemed like I was hungry all the time and was really eating for about three people. I always wondered why I didn't weigh 300 pounds! I guess it could be because of not absorbing the calories.
~
I was overweight and at the second clinic when I finally had heard of this disease I asked to be tested and was told I did not fit that at all. Six months later when it was decided I had Celiac I asked what made you think it could not be when I asked - the doc said "You were not skinny." I did tell her that I had lost 25lbs the last two years without trying - that should have been a clue.
~
I have been "pleasingly plump" all my life and had to try diet after diet. However, after 40 years, I had begun to lose and was malnourished. I took myself to Mayo Clinic in FL and they put it all together. I've been GF for a year now, and I again have the weight problems. I really can't seem to lose what I gained after going GF, though I really don't eat that many carbs (breads, etc.) at all. My metabolism to burn off calories must be all confused. So, once again, I am NOT pleased with myself and weight.