From:
"Barfield, Betty" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barfield, Betty
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 11:19:23 -0500

This message is being sent as a reminder of the following study that was
initiated on March 7, 2008. I wish to thank persons who have responded.
As an added note, approval for the study was obtained for participants
living in the United States. There was no intent to leave anyone out; it
was not realized that there would be such an interest from persons
living outside the United States. For Washington State residents, please
choose Oregon State and then indicate in one of the comment areas that
you reside in WA. If you would like to participate, you must choose a
state, but you can indicate were you live in one of the comment areas.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

The purpose of this study is to examine whether or not there is a
relationship between quality of life and coping strategies for adults
with celiac disease adhering to a gluten free diet. Participation is
voluntary and requires completion of three surveys, which can be
accessed from the link provided. Voluntary completion of the three
surveys will confirm consent to participate. The estimated time to
complete all three surveys is approximately 45 minutes. Thank you for
taking the time to complete the surveys and participating in this
research study.  If you have any questions about the study, please email
me from the links provided.

Demographic Information and Health and Diet History.  Email:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Cn31Ge8kjnaLIhFLUejteQ_3d_3d

Webpage:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Cn31Ge8kjnaLIhFLUejteQ_3d_3d">Cli
ck Here to take survey</a

Psychological General Well-Being Index.  Email:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=CdOOgxcS6x3N2w9MPvSa0A_3d_3d

Webpage:
<ahref="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=CdOOgxcS6x3N2w9MPvSa0A_3d
_3d">Click Here to take survey</a>

Brief COPE:  Email:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=5HDhQpLpJdqLAL9_2fuwOYBQ_3d_3d

Webpage:
<ahref="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=5HDhQpLpJdqLAL9_2fuwOYBQ_
3d_3d">Click Here to take survey</a>

DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY, 600 FORBES AVENUE, PITTSBURGH, PA 15282 // CONSENT
TO PARTICIPATE IN A RESEARCH STUDY

TITLE:  What Is the Relationship Between Quality of Life and Coping
Strategies in Adults with Celiac Disease Adhering to a Gluten Free Diet?

INVESTIGATOR:  Melissa M. Smith, PhD(c), APRN, BC, CNS

Doctoral Candidate:  Duquesne University, School of Nursing, Pittsburgh,
PA 15282, (W) (330) 363-3930

ADVISOR:  Linda Goodfellow, PhD, RN, Associate Professor, Duquesne
University School of Nursing, 517 Fisher Hall,           Pittsburgh, PA
15282, (412) 396-6548

SOURCE OF SUPPORT:  This study is being performed as partial fulfillment
of the requirements for the doctoral degree in nursing at Duquesne
University. This study is supported by a grant from the Society of
Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc.

PURPOSE:  You are being asked to participate in a research project that
seeks to investigate whether or not there is a relationship between
quality of life and coping strategies for adults with celiac disease
adhering to a gluten free diet and to determine if there are any
perceived causes that interfere with adherence to a gluten free diet.
These are the only requests that will be made of you.

RISKS AND BENEFITS:  There are no risks greater than those encountered
in everyday life. The benefit to you will be knowing that you will help
in identifying coping strategies of adults with celiac disease adhering
to a gluten free diet  and that the results may eventually result in the
development of cognitive-behavioral interventions and/or educational
programs designed to improve quality of life in people just like you
with celiac disease.

COMPENSATION:  You are not required to pay to participate in this study
and you will not be paid to participate in this study.

A $500.00 honorarium will be given to the Gluten Intolerance Group in
gratitude for their assistance in creating the link for you to complete
the questionnaires. This donation will be used by the Gluten Intolerance
Group for further research.

CONFIDENTIALITY:  Your name will never appear on any survey or research
instruments.  If any personal identification is provided, your responses
to the questionnaires will be deleted.  No identity will be made in the
data analysis. Your responses will only appear in statistical data
summaries.  All materials will be destroyed at the completion of the
study after all data have been analyzed and the findings have been
reported.

RIGHT TO WITHDRAW:  You are under no obligation to participate in this
study.  You are free to withdraw your consent to participate at any
time.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS:  A summary of the results of this research will be
submitted for publication in a peer review professional nursing journal.

VOLUNTARY CONSENT:  Voluntary completion of the surveys will confirm
consent to participate. The estimated time to complete all three surveys
is approximately 45 minutes.

I have read the above statements and understand what is being requested
of me.  I also understand that my participation is voluntary and that I
am free to stop at any time, not complete the surveys and thus, withdraw
my consent at any time, for any reason.  On these terms, I certify that
I am willing to participate in this research project.  I understand that
should I have any further questions about my participation in this
study, I may call Melissa M. Smith,  Principal Investigator (330)
363-3930, Linda Goodfellow (412) 396-6548 Advisor, and Dr. Paul Richer,
Chair of the Duquesne University Institutional Review Board
412-396-6326).  If you agree to participate in this study, please click
on the link provided and complete the questionnaires.

Cynthia Kupper, RD

Executive Director

Gluten Intolerance Group of North America

31214 - 124 Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092

<http://www.GLUTEN.net>