From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:06:17 -0400

Not to be repetitive, but remember the key is to read the labels at Passover time. Kosher for Passover labels are clearer and either they have a gluten product or they don't. But be careful. Some supermarket shelf stockers stick anything that appears Kosher (doesn't mean gluten-free) or Jewish on the shelf. In order for the premise of looking for matzah, matzah meal, cake meal or farfel (all wheat) to work, it has to be a product that is marked as a Passover product. Just being on the shelf or in the case with Passover products isn't a guarantee.

The reason for my warning: By accident, I recently bought the non-Passover version of something I get only for Passover. Because it looked identical to the Passover variety and I made the assumption that the store had removed the non-Passover stuff (which they usually do in my neck of the woods), I scanned the label too quickly...duh! I totally didn't see "flour"...I wasn't looking for that....got myself a tad sick. (I'm o.k.) I've had celiac over 60 years and keep a kosher home, and should know better, so if it could happen to me, it can happen to anybody.

During the year, when the manufacturers go back to their non-Passover ingredients, the general appearance of the box, jar, etc. may still look the same. Don't take for granted that the supermarket guy knows the difference.

Bottom line: read the labels.