From:
Donna Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:08:31 EST

hello everyone
thank you all once again for the tons of responses...
i had posted a request for a GOOD pasta recipe if anyone had one...
i had an overwhelming response to my post in reference to which commercial
brands were best...it seems not too many people want to make their own..the
only recipe i received was for gnocchi (thank you) which i already make
...but this sounds like a good recipe i will try it...there were a couple of
recipe references included below...
so i have no pasta recipes to share but i will summarize the comments on
commercial brands of gf pasta i received...

a few people said they like the recipe in bette hagman's books (ive not tried
that yet)

**here's one recipe suggestion:We have a recipe for  pasta in our archives of
www.glutenfreeda.com that I
guarantee is as good or better than the wheat variety.  We use the Gluten
Free
Pantry's Country French Bread for 'flour' and I'm not kidding, our
fettuccini,
lasagne, ravioli are unbelievable!  We have served our gf homemade pasta to
many
gluten eating guests, every time to rave reviews.  The other great thing is
that
you can make one recipe and cut all the pasta and save half covered in
plastic
wrap in the refrigerator, uncooked.  Then cook in boiling water the next
night,
and it will still be perfect!  **

the overwhelming majority said tinkyada and bi-aglut were the best...(i will
try the tinkyada despite the ridiculous price in my health food
store..bi-aglut is not available locally)..there were several who said
tinkyada comes the closest to the 'real thing' and others who said that
bi-aglut does
some said the tinkyada is hard to over cook- which is a good thing...and
others commented not to over cook the bi-aglut brand

there were several votes for corn pasta...some packaged and some sold bulk at
health food stores...some said they can't tell the difference...some said it
does not re-heat well  and turns to mush....(i tried it once a few years ago
and didnt like it as all)

there was also a couple of votes for ener-g's white rice pasta -which seems
to be good for those who are sensitive to brown rice and corn

one person said they like 'notta pasta'...they did not metion what it is made
from

there was one vote for de boles corn pasta saying it's good but of course
higher in calories than 'real' pasta....(this was from a former de cecco user
which is a premier wheat pasta-so it is worth a try i guess)

there was one vote for lundberg pasta-spaghetti and rigatoni (just the
thought of rigatoni makes me want to try this..my favorite-but ive never seen
them in my area!)

there were several who said schar pastas were the best

there were also a few votes for quinoa

there was one for pasatriso

there was one for MRS LEEPERS...??? ive never even heard of that one..!!!

there were several people who have had the same experience as i...that asian
rice noodles are the best and most econimical alternative...(if you soak them
in COLD water for 1/2 hour or so and then drain and put them right in the
sauce of what you are making...keep testing till they are al-dente...they are
pretty good..DONT COOK THEM in hot water before that...just from the cold
water to the sauce-it may take some patience with testing till done to your
liking- you can keep the soaked uncooked noodles drained in a plastic
container for another use and they will keep several days...the re-heating of
already cooked noodles is something i dont recommend...).i was just looking
for another alternative to rice too....

i had one response that said they have tried them all and nothing compares to
the 'real' thing....

ancient harvest quinoa/corn pasta was mentioned by one person...

there was one mention of 'glutano' being good...

one mention of bio-nature..but said they also make pastas with wheat so you
have to be careful to look for the gluten-free label...

someone said trader joes -in the chicago area-has spaghetti and penne that
are good
(if i ever get to chicago....:-) )

ok...so in general the consensus was that its not 'worth it' to make your
own...id suppose that depends on your budgetary requirements...many of the
brands mentioned are not available where i live..but i may try and have my HF
store order for me -if possible as mail ordering is not a good option for
me...many said their hf stores are willing to do this...i will splurge on a
package of tinkyada soon..(maybe a c'mas present for myself!)..bi-aglut i
have not seen and considering the price i will try the tnkyada first..
if i come across any good recipes for homemade i will post them..as many of
you were also anxious for one...im sorry to disappoint.and to those of you
who still 'cry' when you pass the pasta aisle in the market...i feel and
share your 'pain'..:-)
have a great holiday everyone....
donna