From:
Laurie Topper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 02:19:58 -0500

  I am very sorry that this summary is so long overdue!!  I hope you will
all forgive me.  It's been a very difficult 6 weeks.

I received 67 replies from people who were well aware of the connection
between gluten intolerance and ADHD!!!  Everyone ( actually all but 2) had
experienced difficulties similar to my daughters prior to going gluten
free. I learned that many children and adults with ADHD, autism, depression
and even several with learning disabilities were helped dramatically with
this diet. It was suggested that we contact a dietitian for additional help.

5 people who wrote were adamant about not starting the diet with out first
under going blood tests and endoscopy. 1 felt that with out positive test
results, life would be very difficult for my daughter and might leave
further generations wondering about the family history of celiac. Some felt
that if I kept my daughter gluten free that she would develop a gluten
intolerance regardless of weather or not she had one to start.  I was told
that I should get a positive result and then go forth with a trial of the
diet.  1 person felt that eating a gluten free diet might cause my daughter
to develop a vitamin B deficiency.

I consulted a gastroenterologist who assured me that you cannot develop a
gluten intolerance just because you are eating gluten free.  He also
explained that the vitamin deficiency is a result of the intolerance ( or
celiac condition) not eating gluten free.  When the stomach lining and
intestines are damaged, they are unable to absorb vitamins and often
vitamin B deficiency results. ( as well as other problems)

We opted to stick with the immediate results from the diet and put off the
testing - Jess needs immediate help and I can't wait for the results of the
tests.  Her reaction to a GF diet has been so positive that even if the
tests were negative, we would keep her on the diet.  We do have a family
history of confirmed celiacs.  My husbands grandfather, and my sister.  so,
Jess is hit from both families!

We are further exploring ways to help Jess through diet.  I feel that there
are other things affecting her behavior and mood. ( certain dyes, for
example.)  Since going GF, Jess feels so much better that she is now able
to identify other foods which give her stomach aches - apples, oranges -
those seem to be the biggies.

I thank all of you tremendously for relaying you stories and giving all the
wonderful support that you have.  It's so nice not to be alone!!

Laurie in New York