From:
Jessica Mahood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:32:27 -0400

Greetings,

Several months ago I asked the listserv for some advice on eating GF during my long-anticipated trip to London.? Well, I can happily say that I just returned from the trip, and not only did I eat three meals a day, but I did not get sick once!? First I'm going to offer my own observations, then?I will summarize the recommendations sent to me following my original posting.

My thoughts on eating:
-Most places were very familiar with the idea of eating gluten-free.? In fact,?a waiter at one nicer hamburger place looked offended when I asked them if they had dedicated fryers!?
-Even though London is a very international city, I did not find language barriers to be an issue.
-I discovered that pubs of the "Wetherspoon" chain will list gluten-free items on their menus.?
-The larger Tesco grocery stores will have gluten-free breads, muffins, and desserts.? The smaller Tescos often will not have these items, but do sell cheeses and meats.
-Most canned and packaged goods in convenience and grocery stores will actually say if they are gluten-free or not on the label.? HOWEVER, be careful, as wheat starch is considered GF in the UK.
-It was really helpful to stay in a hotel room that had a microwave and small refrigerator.? We had a suite at The Grand at Trafalgar Square.? This was not cheap, but it was worth it.
-There are Starbucks on nearly every corner in London.? Their menu seems identical to the American one.? So if you can find out which coffees are GF in advance, this may help.?
-If you're desperate, I did see McDonalds in London, but I did not go in so I'm not sure about their respective menu.
-Be prepared for lots of "meat and potato" meals.? A baked potato in London is called a "Jacket potato."

My thoughts on traveling to London:
-We actually walked everywhere, which balanced out all of the starchy/fatty foods.? Our hotel in Trafalgar Square was an excellent centralized location for walking.? I highly recommend that spot, although it can be noisy in the mornings (buses idle outside).
-A friend gave me the "Rick Steve's Guide to London," and this was immensely helpful for insider's travel tips.
-London is a VERY expensive city right now, partially because the dollar is weak compared to the pound.? Be prepared to spend the equivalent of $40-50 minimum for two people per meal.? Right now $2 is almost equal to 1 pound.
-It's very helpful to bring a laptop and have a hotel with an internet connection.? We were able to decide on a few last-minute activities and shows while we were there and bought tickets online.
-Don't forget an outlet adapter and voltage converter.?
-London feels like a very safe city--it's clean and attractive--but they do have a lot of issues with pick-pockets.? Bring a zippered purse or otherwise secure bag.

Suggestions from the listmembers:

-New Whole Foods opened in High Street Kensington. Great GF baked goods.

Foods are well labeled. I ate very well between the Indian restaurants and

middle eastern restaurants ( grilled meats) but you biggest issue will be

food sticker shock! Prices are very high. I made wonderful meals from cheese

and meats that I bought at Borough Market.

?

-The UK is pretty easy for Celiac travellers because so many Brits are familiar with the condition. In addition, the rule about restaurants that applies here applies there as well: the more upscale the place, the easier it'll be because a) the kitchen has more control over ingredients and b) wait staff is more likely to be knowledgeable. Pubs are fairly gluten-y places and so not such good choices for us, though you can usually find something that's okay to eat in the fancier gastro-pubs.?
?

-I went to London a few years back and any place you stay would be wonderful. They really understand the whole special diet thing. The only place we every had difficulty was a place called Bella Pasta. I know with a name like that why did we go in. But the menu actually had a few items on it that look promising and everyone and everyplace had been so accommodating to the diet we decided why not. Well they get all their food prepackaged and cannot make things without the sauces or whatever.?Other than that we had no issues. Most grocery stores have plenty of GF foods (they all seem to have it near the tea). Even Marks and Spenser had GF bread it its gourmet food shop.?

?
-I had no trouble in London.? At lunch at the Indiana (no print error) restaurant often.?
Very good.? Found some GF breads and cookies at the markets and pharmacys.?
Ate at the Bombay Palace (wonderful) for dinner a few evenings.???
I recommend you take some little cheeses for the flight and crackers.?
Also get a letter from a doctor so you don't have too much of a problem boarding the plane.?

-No matter where you stay in London, you'll be able to hop on the 'tube' and get anywhere else you want to go. We bought a week pass even though we were only there for five days - it was cheaper than getting day passes. We went in 2006, only 3 months after my dx of Celiac. I first sought out to find Sainsburys grocery store. They have a small section of shelf stable gf items. I bought little mini sponge type cakes (think Hostess but better?tasting and better for you) and supplemented?my b'fast while there, and took extras to eat in Paris.
?
-Many places in London have ded. fryers so you can have fries at places if you choose to. Even a server at the most basci lunch place will know what Celiac and gluten are. It's totally amazing and sad at the same time that we're so behind them here in the US. Quinn is a famous Indian place that I've heard has great gf meals but we didn't go because I didn't hear that until after my return. I think the other grocery store there Tesco also has a lot of gluten free shelf stable items. Hopefully someone will tell you the name of a fast food place in London?that's good, cheap and has gf options marked right on the containers - the name escapes me now but they're all over the city.?Again it was so fabulous to find such a place and then hard to come home where no such place exists. London is at least as multinational as NYC so take gf dining cards for Indian, Thai, Italian and French at least. You can buy them at Triumph Dining but I printed?and laminated some from www.celiactravel.com (I think). I took two in each language I thought I needed, in case some server lost one when taking it to the Chef. ?

?

-I never had much of a problem finding food, and you'll find yourself bringing much of it home with you because their GF products in their stores is AMAZING!!? Here are a few places I found while I was there:

Nando's- popular restaurant, locations all over...I ate at one in Notting
Hill and one by the hotel I stayed at(the Park Plaza Victoria on Vauxhall
Bridge Road)-I ate the lemon & herb chicken with rice and corn

?Savoy Hotel- High tea!? If you go to their website (you'll have to google
?it) and email the hotel, you can make a reservation for a gluten free high
tea.? It was really really fun.? You dress up and it's beautiful and they
make you little crust-less sandwiches and fruit and breads and it was just
wonderful.? Plus for gluten eaters their meal is fantastic also!? This is
located on The Strand.

Smollensky's- GF menu...very good restaurant/bar.? It's located at 105 The
Strand (just down the street from the Savoy Hotel).? They also had a gluten
free dessert.? I ate here twice.

Cotto- located at 89 Westminster Bridge Road phone # is: 020 7928 5535.
?it's the Lambeth North tube station and it's just
across the street from the tube exit.? But it's a little tiny italian
restaurant and the owner (Cotto!) is Celiac and he'll come out and ask you
what you'd like and everything.? He made me my own garlic bread and alfredo
pasta.? I think he preffers if you call ahead.

La Tasca- These are all over.? The one I ate at most was at Cardinal Place
in Victoria again by the Park Place Victoria hotel and Vauxhall Bridge Road.
It lists GF items on its menu and was very good.? You can find them all
over London.

Ok....so while you're packing, you might want to take extra luggage because
I'm just warning you, you'll want to bring a lot of things back with you!
They have SO MANY wonderful GF things at their grocery stores!? Sainsbury's,
Tesco, Somerfield, and Marks and Spencer have many GF items.? Marks and
Spencers are all over the place and they have lots of ready to eat salads
and drinks and foods that are gluten free, just read the labels.? Many
things will say "suitable for coeliacs".? Now...you need to find a large
Sainsbury's (large grocery stores are hard to find in London! most are tiny
little "metros" that have a smaller selection).? But Sainsbury's had THE
BEST GF selection!? I only ever saw two large ones...one was down the street
from my hotel (Park Plaza Victoria) and the other was on Tottenham Court
Road.? You could probably look on their website to get exact locations.? But
there are a few things that you absolutely cannot miss!? Their brand is
"free from" and these things were my favorite:
Pittas
Bakewell tarts
Lemon Pound Cake (this was FANTASTIC! I've been trying to get people in
London to ship it to me it was so good!? I brought a few back and gave one
to my other Celiac friend and she almost cried!)
Pancakes
tea cakes
shortcake cookies
apple pies

I'm telling you, both times I went for two weeks and most of the time I
just ate fruits and salads from marks&spencers and GF goodies at stores like
Sainsbury's and Tesco.? Everynight I came home with more GF goodies that I
had found.? The UK is fantastic for celiacs!

?

-Please see this site, it may help http://www.sillyyak.co.uk/map/

?

I hope that this is helpful to you all.? Thank you to all of the original respondents, and safe travels.
Jessica in Boston