From:
Linda Etherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:42:15 -0400

The responses were unanimous.  Everyone likes their Whisper Mill.
Here's what people said.

1.  I love my Whisper Mill. I have had it for two years now and grind
all my flour with it. My flour is always fresh and I usually grind about
6 cups at a time. The mill has a fine setting on it and you can grind
rice flour better than in the store. I also grind garbanzo beans in it.
It is very quite compared to other mills.  I catch all the sales in the
grocery store on rice and beans and store them until I grind them into
fresh flour.

2.  I have a Whisper Mill and it is great.  It grinds beans, rice, and
other grains.  On the finest grind the rice flour is as fine as any I
bought.  I save a lot on rice especially as I grind brown and white.
You can grind quinoa by putting in a cup at a time, but don't grind
flax.  It works better in a blender.  I highly recommend them.

3.  I have had a Whisper Mill for two years.  I use it for rice.  It
does a great job of milling rice.  Over time you will save money too.
Using freshly milled flour is a great bonus for GF baking.  However, you
may need to adjust the measurement of flour since a cup of freshly
milled flour will not contain as much flour as purchased flour.  The
purchased flour will have "settled" from packaging and shipping.  The
cup of freshly milled flour will have more air.

This is similar to the difference in measuring flour "before or after
sifting" as sifting adds more air.  Even though the Whisper Mill is
quieter than my previous grain mill I still wear ear protection the
short time it is running.

4.  I was a little disappointed in the claims that the whisper mill is
quiet.  It is quieter than the magic mill primarily because the
collection container is plastic not metal which muffles the sound.  I
wouldn't call it quiet however.  The flour comes out just fine in
texture.  I have also ground garbanzo beans with it and they turned out
well also.

5.  Hi, I really like my whisper mill. I like to mill brown rice because
it has so much more flavor and nutrition. All my recipes seem to work
out well. I usually use flour combinations, so I mill different grains
and rice varieties. I do sweet rice, amaranth, teff, beans and others. I
recommend you go for it!

6.  I love it -- have had it for several years and have found it
convenient and efficient.  There is a dial where you can adjust the
fineness of the grind if you want , but I just leave it in the middle
and get the nicest flour all the time.  I buy a 25 pound bag of rice for
$5.00 and put it into quart canning jars which I screw tightly to keep
insects out.  Any time I want fresh rice flour I open a jar and mill my
own.  Also works well with soybeans, brown rice, chick peas, split peas,
or even corn.

It has been a great convenience, a great money-saver, and even a
time-saver, because it is quicker to grind the flour than it is to go to
the store and get it.  By keeping the grains whole until I need them
they have a much longer shelf life, as well.  Cannot say enough good
things about the machine -- I'm really glad I got mine.

For those who wrote and were also interested in purchasing one, two
suggestions were made:

1.  Pleasant Hill Grain which is selling it for $199.95 complete (I
think that includes shipping).  Their phone number is 800-321-1073.
www.best-bosch.com/whisper_mills_grain.html

2.  www.urbanhomemaker.com is having a special until April 22nd.  It is
$199.95 = $9 shipping.

Linda