From:
KathleenMayo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KathleenMayo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:25:46 -0500

Hi All,

I posted a week or two back asking about Mircette, the birth control pill.
Several people answered that it is gluten free, and a few people who are
GF/CF said they had had bad reactions on it.  One person said that after
having a reaction they contacted the company and found it that while the
product has no gluten ingredients, the line it was being made on at the time
was not considered gluten free.

So, my new question -- does anyone know of a brand of the pill (my doc says
she is aiming for "low dose") that is GF/CF?

Prior to beind diagnosed Celiac I tired Alesse and Nordette -- I had very
negative experiences on each, and stopped taking the pill before my actual
diagnosis as the nausiated feeling 24/7 was too frustrating to be worth it.
I have not investigated either of those brands to confirm I was having a
Gluten reaction, but given what i recall of my reactions -- and how I tend
to react to Gluten I am relatively confident they had some gluten in them.
Does anyone know for sure?

I'm having "female problems" and she wants to see if going on the pill will
help.  I am rather depressed about this for two simple reasons, 1) I have
yet to hear of a brand of the pill that is both gluten and casein free
(though several people said they have done well with the ortho evra patch --
and I may end up discussing that with my doc) and 2) because going GF/CF had
been a "miracle cure" of sorts for the female problems that had plagued me
since I was 16.  Within a month of going GF my problems began to disappear,
and I went for over a year with no problems whatsoever.  :)    Now I'm back
to having problems despite remaining as gf/cf as I can.  (I'll confess to
the rare slip up -- but didn't think I'd made any mistake "big enough" to
throw my body this out of wack.)  :(

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks, as always, for your help and support.  I'll summarize as best I can.

kathleen

Until you walk a mile in another man's shoes... you don't know why he has
blisters.
~Kay Kellam