From:
Poskarbiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Poskarbiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:09:22 -0400

The following information was gleaned from archive posts.  I haven't yet checked out any of the restaurants listed to see if they are still around but thought I would share the information.

Christy

Sushi Chardonnay
1785 Union Street
between Gough & Octavia
(415) 346-5070.

    My favorite breakfast restaurant is Roxanne's.
    560 Powell
    415-989-5555

In the past 5 years of being Gluten-free my very favorite dining out
experience has been at the Matterhorn Swiss Restaurant located at
2323 Van Ness Avenue.  Andrew and Brigitte Thorpe are Swiss and were
wonderful
in  accommodating my special needs. (Brigitte has some type of severe
food allergy and understands the importance of being careful.) I called
ahead, said when I was coming and was told to order the sliced veal,
grilled
lamb chops or tiger prawns and to ask for Bridgette.  Andrew thickened the
veal sauce with cornstarch, added a large side of rousti (shredded fried
potatoes) and petite green beans.  I had chocolate/vanilla mousse for
dessert in a beautiful presentation.  The number was 415-885-6116.  I
have not been able to fly out to return since 2002 so I hope it is still
there.

Hi Folks:  A few weeks ago we visited San Francisco for the usual
tourist stuff - cable cars, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf.  We did venture
into the Union Square area where I had remembered a wonderful restaurant
we had eaten dinner at many years ago.  Not wanting to even attempt fast
food after all the crowds we encountered, I thought we should return to
this restaurant and see if we could manage a gluten free meal for my
daughter.  The restaurant is Kuletto's.    I spoke to the host briefly
about the possibility of getting something gluten free there, and he
returned with a little sheet of paper listing the items that were safe
for those on a gluten restricted diet.  Although it wasn't extensive, it
really helped us with making a selection which was delicious and safe.
I so much appreciated their effort and did let them know in the hopes
that they would continue to take the time to provide this service,  for
their patrons.

Hi, Thanks to all for your suggestions.  First there is a website,
www.bayareaceliacs.org/restaurants.htm, which is a blog on restaurants
in the Bay Area.  They don't have restaurants that have gluten free menus
except for the usual Outbacks and PF Chang's, etc.  That was disappointing.
I am from New York and we are fortunate to have numerous restaurants with
special GF menus courtesy of GFRAP. The Bay Area should too!

Old files were generously provided, but some restaurants and cafes that
were accomodating are no more, like Alma's.  The Dolores Park Cafe's gluten
free baker passed away,I was told, and not replaced.

I went to an organic live food restaurant, reasonably priced and lovely,
Cafe Gratitude, located at 1336 9th Ave, which is near Golden Gate
Park. It is also  at 2400 Harrison St in SF and 1730 Shattuck Ave in Berkeley.
Its web site is at www.CafeGratitude.com.  They said that most of their  menu
is gluten free except for what contained soy sauce.  I felt okay after eating
their pizza, no stomach complaints nor telling DH symptoms.  I would highly
recommend them.

I went to Eric's, a Chinese restaurant in Noe Valley (Sanchez and 27th) that
was recommended. They were not very communicative about the gf, and I was
disappointed in this. I was steered away from the mango chicken by the waiter,
who said that it might have soy sauce.  He would not let me talk to the cook
or manager (not there he said).  I had a cod dish and veggie/tofu with white
sauce dishes.  I did not get sick, but was turned off to their lack of
communication.  Would not go back there.

I went to Amberjack Sushi, also on 27th and Sanchez.  It was fine.  My friend
insisted on my getting vinegar free rice and they were accomodating.  My
friend recommends this restaurant for the quality of the sushi.

I was told that the Daily Grill at 347 Gearywas accomodating.  I went to
Buckeye's in Marin.  The waiter's mother in law had celiac disease,
miraculously, and he was helpful.  However, I itched my DH the next day. I had
eaten simply with salad fish and veggies.

San Francisco: We stayed at the W Hotel right across from Chevy's which
has a gluten free menu Mexican food. It was delicious. The manager was
awesome. We also visited See's Candies(most if not all are gf). We ate in
China town at P and G lounge, which had pretty bad service, but I was able
to get steamed chicken and broccoli.  The Sir Francis Drake was cool too,
there is a great view and I had a few Chopin and Cranberry cocktails there
(confirmed it was Ocean Spray). The hotel room had Starbucks coffee which
was also great. There was also an italian restaurant who made me a
delicious baked salmon, though i don't remember the name. Sorry.

Napa and Sonoma(we went to numerous wineries and sampled many wines with
no problem. The views and landscape are awesome, though my allergies
(grass,trees) were bothering me a bit

In Napa, we ate at the Rutheford Grill which had a few gf waitresses. They
were VERY accomodating. In Sonoma, the Girl and The Fig restaurant was
also verY acsomodating, I had a delicious ribeye steak. If you are ever in
the San Fran area, i recommend Sausalito as well. It is great town on the
water, we ate breakfast there. Most breakfast places were pretty
accomodating providing me with bacon and hard boiled eggs. There is also
an Asia De Cuba there(we did  not go there as it was too expensive, but
their food is supposed to be wonderful and they were willing to call the
NY location to get the gluten free menu)