From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 12:34:09 AST

Question:

Does anyone know at what point, when a blood test shows the TSH
(thyroid stimulating hormone) is getting higher, do they start to
give you medication?  Or does it vary with doctors!!  Mine is up to
8.16 and the ref range for normal is to 5.50. He also checked the T3
and T4 which I can't remember but one was at the lower end of the ref
range and the other seemed to be a little off, but my GP said he'd
send me back for another test in 3 months and I guess if it's higher
he'll give me a synthetic hormone to take.

Won't acknowledge it has anything to do with Celiac disease, and still
tells me he's not
convinced I have Celiac (doesn't say it  in that direct way, but).  I
don't want to have to take any medication, but if this will help the
fatigue I experience so often, I don't want to have to wait 3 months!
 But maybe the TSH isn't high enough that they would treat it.  Which
brings me back to the question on how high  would they wait for it to
go in order to treat it???????  Any thoughts or experiences would be
appreciated.