From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 09:28:59 PDT

Mike Johnson stated that:

Schizophrenia, arthritis, and multiple sclerosis seem to be associated with
gluten and that there seem to be practical and statistical indications to
the contrary.

Comment from Don Kasarda, Albany, CA

I would be very much interested in the literature references that provide
significant statistical indications of an association of the above mentioned
conditions with gluten ingestion.  I am mainly aware of studies in the area
of schizophrenia where those that claim a significant correlation are
canceled by others that haven't found such a correlation.  This may well be
a problem of experimental design rather than indicating a lack of any
connection, but I haven't been convinced of a significant correlation by
what I have seen so far.  I understand the frustration that results when
needed research isn't being done, but research costs money, often big money,
and the funding frequently isn't available to researchers no matter how
interested they might be in the problem.  Also, when dealing with human
subjects, there are major problems finding willing, suitable participants
for studies and, in the case of schizophrenia, for example, with informed
consent by subjects.