From:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:14:52 -0600

Listmates.:

The following are comments or information related to feedback that I
got from some of you.  Hope this information answers questions and is
helpful.

No one asked if I had any connections or interest in Mrs. May's.
Just in case someone has that question, I don't.  I just happened to
find the product on a visit to Costco.

Betsy
Austin, Texas

-One listmate noted that I made no comment on the product.  Was it
good?  Yes, the Crunch products that I tried were wonderful,
crunchy, not too sweet--they are in small cubes and make a great
snack/finger food.  Would be good served with cheese cubes, fresh
fruit pieces, etc.

-Costco had 4--5.5 ounce packages on special so you could try several
kinds.  Costco also had a larger bag.  Each bag has only one flavor
in it.  On the web site they have 2 ounce packages for sale--would be
great in lunch boxes or brown bags.  http://www.mrsmays.com

-Questions about MALT:  Malt is on our ingredient watch list and the
source is needed.  If it is barley malt then it is not allowed.  The
source of the malt used in this product is RICE.  RICE MALT IS OK.

-Nutrition and Fat content--yes nut or seed products are high in fat.
BUT NUTS ARE HIGH IN GOOD FAT and low in saturated fats.  One good
reference about this is Harvard School of Public Health's fact sheet
on fats.   http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html
Mrs. May's products are low in sodium and sugars.  They are good
sources of fiber and protein.  I listed the ingredients from Mrs.
May's products that I purchased.  I looked up one peanut brittle for
comparison--higher in sodium and sugars and less total fat, but the
same amount of saturated fat.  I added the one Hershey bar for
another comparison.  I am not sure how the spacing will be in your
e-mail but the numbers are in order.  I put the saturated
fat/cholesterol which looks like this 1g/0mg--the word "cholesterol"
is typed on the next line in my original.

Product         Fat         Saturated fat/      Sodium  Sugars  Fiber   Protein
                        Cholesterol
Mrs. May's serving 7 pieces, about 1 ounce
Almond Crunch   15g     1g/0mg          50mg    4g      3g      7g
Cashew Crunch   12g     2g/0mg          55mg    5g      2g      4g
Black Sesame    12g     2g/0mg          50mg    5g      2g      4g
Pumpkin Crunch  13g     2g/0mg          50mg    4g      4g      7g

Vermont Country Store 1.5 oz serving
Peanut Brittle  5g      1g/0mg          390mg   26g     1g      3g

Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Almonds, 1 bar
                14g     7g/0mg          35mg    18g     1g      5g

-One listmate had problems with the link to the site.  Clicking on
the link above gets me directly to the web site.  If you are having
problems it is something in your Internet service or linkage.  Try a
search for Mrs. May's Naturals to see if you can get there through
the search engine.