From:
JOSEPH W ANDERSON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JOSEPH W ANDERSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:26:39 -0700

Thanks to the many of you who responded to this question. The responses
were mixed-- so I'm thinking that something non-dairy, such as GF rice
milk or almond milk would be best. Here's what you said:

  Statistics show that 90% of milk allergic kids will react to goats
milk.  Also, that 40% of all milk allergic kids are soy allergic as well.

the protein is in all mammals Milk.... perhaps in different percentages..
I tried the goats milk and had the same reaction as to cows milk.
Try rice milk.  Goat's milk worked for my first son who showed symptoms
similar to yours
Most of us who are allergic to cow's milk are allergic to goats milk.
The protein is very similar.  We use almond milk.
We tried Goat's milk, it seemed ok  in the beginning, but after a week or
2 the burping and gas and stomach pain came back. What we ended up giving
his was 2% Rice milk, Pacific
brand, it says GF on label. He tolerated quite well. After about 6 months
we gradually introduced milk, 2% (not whole milk because we were told it
was harder to tolerate.) He has been able to drink milk with no problems
since. He is 3 1/2 now.
 I tried goat's milk and found it just as allergenic as cow's milk.
Also soy, was, too.  In infants, the next choice is to try a digested
down
formula, like Nutramagen or Pregestimil.
I have read that the protein in goats milk is very similar to that in
cow's milk and should not be used as a replacement for babies.  I also
read that some babies that have problems with cow's milk also have
problems with soy.
My doctor, 22 years ago, told me that goat's milk was a great substitute
for
any formula as long as you supplemented with B12, which the doctor gave
me in drop form for my baby.  Because of the severe allergies of my
husband
and daughter, I breastfed this baby and then switched to goats milk.  It
was
wonderful.  Much more digestiible than soy formula, which my daughter had
been unable to tolerate. It is widely believed to be far less allergic
than
cow's milk.
Goats milk is less allergenic than cow'w milk but it does still have a
high cross reactivity rate with cow's milk so most people who can not
tolerate cow's milk can't tolerate goats milk either.
that is quite controversial.  Most allergists will suggest avoiding Goats
milk if allergic to both.  He should probably do a trial on Nutramigen
which
is a hypoallergenic formula.  at least 1/3 of kids with allergy to milk
is
allergic to soy.
 I would strongly suggest avoiding both goats milk AND soy if your
 child does have a milk allergy.  These proteins are similar to cow
 milk and are also not tolerated in children with cows milk allergy.
 30% of children who are allergic to cow milk are also allergic to soy.
 Our GI team srongly recommends a protein hydrolysate or free amino
 acid formula such as Neocate (for multiple food allergies) for
  children who do not tolerate cow milk.  If your child is above the age
  of 1 years, I would recommend rice milk. If your child is not gaining
  weight appropriately, I would recommend Neocate 1+ or Peptamen Junior
  supplementation instead of rice milk.
soy milk, goat milk, OR cow's milk.  According to the physician (Boston
Childern's Hospital), these 3 proteins are large in size and similar in
structure, so there is a good likelihood of cross reactivity if your
child is allergic to one.

If soy and cow's milk cause a problem, so will goat's milk.

Goats milk and Cow's milk both contain casein and
lactose.  Casein is a big offender, even if your baby is not lactose
intolerant.  My daughter is a Celiac, and is Casein intolerant.  She is
also soy intolerant.
Many celiacs also have a soy intolerance - including me.  I have never
had a
problem with goat's milk.
The following information came from  http://notmilk.com/  and seems to
indicate that goat milk might not be an alternative for
you.  I would personally at least try it, as the commercial
formulas are 50+% sugar (cornsyrup), and that is also bad
for you!
Each day, I receive hundreds of EMAIL inquiries, and I can
always count upon receiving at least one question regarding
goat's milk.
On October 10th (Section 14, page 14), the New York Times
promoted goat's milk as an alternative for those who cannot
tolerate cow's milk.

"To Find Goat's Milk and Cheese, Find Some Goats."

The author of that story, Joseph D'Agnese, wrote:

"If your body can't tolerate cow milk, goat's milk often
makes a suitable alternative."

Such a statement might very well be considered medical
advice, and could result in a deadly prescription for one or

more NY Times readers.

Scientific research suggests goat's milk can be just as
dangerous for some consumers as cow's milk.

A team of European scientists led by Dr. Luisa Businco in
Rome concluded that goat's milk is unsafe for infants with
cow's milk allergy. Their study was published in the Journal

of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, June 1999; 103:1191-
1194.

The scientists reported:

"The children had positive skin test response to both cow's
milk and goat's milk."

During oral tests in which children swallowed small amounts
of goat's milk, 92% of the children experienced allergic
reactions.

Eighty percent of the protein in cow's milk is casein, a
tenacious glue and powerful allergen. The authors of this
study report that goat and cow's milk "share 87 percent to
98 percent ( of the) identical amino acids" that make up the

proteins responsible for milk allergies.