From:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:29:35 -0400

I had a same day surgery procedure done last week at a very good hospital in Philadelphia.  The care was great, the staff marvelous.  But, even with all the cautions about the necessity of gluten free treatment it was only during the pre-surgery prep that I was told that the recovery room procedure included eating a few saltines.  Fortunately relatives were with me and could run out to the car for the emergency supplies I had packed in case of difficulties.  They were also with me in the recovery room to make sure that in my grogginess I did not accept wheat crackers.  I had never been through this kind of same day surgery before and was not expecting to need gluten free food unless admitted to the hospital.  Now I know to carry crackers with me everywhere -- even into surgery!

Mary Ann Coyle