From:
"Max Desorgher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:07:09 +0000

Thanks to all who wrote in reply to my questions vis dairy products.
It was very helpful, at a time when I was unsure whether or not to
re-introduce dairy products into my diet. Rgarding Jim Barron's
advice to try goat's milk products - I have a sister whose skin allergies
improved after switching to goats milk, so it may work for me too.

When I first went GF, I was immediately floored by other allergic reactions
- to cat hairs, dust and milk especially. As time goes on, the
symptoms seem to be moderatating. I can now eat yoghurt and some
cheeses. They may make me a little sleepy, though - and the cat-hair
and dust don't bother me as much. I'm really happy about that, but
still don't understand the logic of it all. Allergy seems to be
wierder than most doctors can understand.

I now know, after a minor slip up yesterday, why I was never
diagnosed as a celiac - the initial
reaction of my system to wheat products feels like a deadening of the
digestive tract, resulting in constipation, not diarrhoea. In fact I
just curl up and can't do anything anymore, my throat and mouth get
a sort of paralysis, my brain goes numb as well. Does this sound like
anyone elses celiac symptoms, or is this something else, maybe a
wheat allergy?

Here are some of the replies I got:

Linda Blanchard wrote:
> As for yogurt's healthful properties, I quote from "On Food and
> Cooking" subtitled "The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" by Harold
> McGee (Collier Books, copyright 1984)
>
>   "The claim that yogurt is an especially healthful food dates from
>   the
> turn of the century, and is based on the mistaken belief that the
> lactobacilli populate the intestine and, as they do in milk,
> suppress the growth of harmful microbes. Unfortunately,
> Lactobacillus bulgaricus cannot survive in humans."

Max Desorgher