From:
Kieran and Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kieran and Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 07:20:25 -0500

For about the last ten years that I ate gluten, I was a very grouchy person.  In case you have family members in denial who are hard to live with, I took niacinamide for the problem.  We got a lot of people to try this, knowing nothing about gluten at the time, and I am convinced it cures grouchiness, depression, and perfectionism.  It reduces inflammation, and works on non-gluten related inflammation as well.  The effective dose is 250 to 500 mg once a day for mood, usually works within 4 days.  (The regime is every 3 waking hours for controlling arthritis.)  Since Dr. Kaufman, who did decades of research on niacinamide, claims that it will give energy, this is the reason I would offer grouchy relatives or coworkers for trying it.  I'd like to hear results if anyone tries it.  It's also got a reputation for helping alcoholics, and a friend who is the only non-alcoholic in her family felt wonderful on niacinamide.  (I'm sure she is sensitive to gluten, but years of harping on the subject have had no effect.)
    Now for the latest gluten exposures.  We  ate out at a Mexican restaurant a few months ago, and by the next day I had concluded from the way my guts felt sort of hot and burning, that there must have been some hidden gluten.  I felt really grouchy for 2 days.  Last night we ate at The Soup Kitchen, where I can ask the employees to look up all the recipes.  The girl who served us was especially nice and offered to go get the empty can of beans that went in the chili for me to read.  I read it, no gluten.  About two hours later the gluten hit, (must have been in the seasonings) it felt hard to breathe, my guts felt spasmy, and I felt panicked.  (The panic attack feeling is very familiar to me from the bad old days)  My husband offered me some dried orange peels, and the symptoms subsided.  (Lemon, orange, and tangerine peels contain limonene and speed up liver detox, they are great for stopping chemical reactions, but I never tried them for gluten reactions before)  Then in my dreams when I woke up this morning, I was in a screaming rage.
    My brother who gets migraines is no longer speaking (or listening) to anyone in our family.  I live 700 miles away and wasn't involved in the triggering incident.  I hear he is so grouchy at work that his coworkers all hate him.  My great grandmother who had chronic migraines was a famous grouch.  Should grouchiness be listed as a gluten reaction?  I'd love to hear others stories and insights on this.  Will summarize.   Donna