From:
Rex Sunderland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:50:28 -0400

I am trying to sort through some blood test results for my 4 year old son and
had a question regarding IgA deficiency.  In reviewing the archives,, it appears
to me that an IgA deficiency somewhat discounts the reliability of the "IgA AB"
and "tTG IgA Ab" screens. I was wondering just what is meant by an IgA
deficiency. I think this is referring to the Immunoglobulin A (IgA) Serum test,
but does the defiency indicate merely an out of "normal range" or to what extent
is considered a deficiency.  His results are flagged low  as 12 mg/dL with a
normal range being from 22-159. His IgG Ab also came back tagged as a Weak
Positive at a reading of 30 Units with a normal negative range being less than
20. Other screening tests were inconclusive.  His sister is/has been dignosed
Celiac positive and is thriving on the diet, thus we as immediate family members
eat a low gluten diet by virtue of not having that much gluten containing food
in the house. We are scheduled to see pediatric GI in a couple of weeks, but was
trying to grasp as much prior knowledge as possible beforehand. He really
doesn't exhibit "normal GI symptoms".  He is short, skinny and small for his
age. He has enamel defects on his teeth, and constant (1-2 times /month)
bacterial throat infections. These are the only external symptoms present. TIA
for any input in clarification on "IgA deficiency"

Rex Sunderland
Lewistown PA- USA