From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:19:09 -0400

Hello,

Just diagnosed with C. difficile infection. The fun never ends... Does
anyone have any advice?  I'm taking vancomycin (strongest antibiotic in the
arsental).  The PA I've been seeing did not suggest any probiotics, but I
understand they help to knock the C. difficile back. I have some Acidophilus
with Bifidus chewable tablets with strawberry extract.  I got sick the last
time I tried them, but they didn't hurt me yesterday.  Does anyone recommend
a particular brand, or another organism?  I wonder if there is any hope that
this has been the source of my problem all along?  I did have Keflex
recently for spontanous outbreak of cystic acne (I'm convinced this is
related to GI problems, since I never had it before), but my problems
started before that.  So confusing!  Wasn't tested for infection previously,
but insisted on it last week.  I previously tested negative on ant-gluten
IgA, positive on IgG, negative on tTG, negative on biopsy, but was gluten
free for a month, ate gluten only 5 days before testing, so was never really
sure what the problem is except that not eating gluten and dairy (and now
eggs, nuts) seems to help somewhat. Seeing an allergist later this month.
Also wondering if the gluten problems predisposed me to the infection, or
vice versa. Maybe not related at all.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Erin