From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:45:50 -0400

I am waiting for more info from my BF who's a pediatrician and who worked on the FDA's
panel to approve the flu mist as a vaccine several years ago, but I wanted to canvass this
list serve to see what you all have to say about getting this over the injectable flu shot.

The flu mist is a weakened live flu strain; the shot is a dead flu strain. The flu mist is
generally not recommended for people with compromised immune systems. I asked my
friend if this means AIDS patients all the way to people with Celiac. She was uncertain as it
wasn't tested with Celiac patients but is checking into it. She said that with all flu mists,
there is a chance of a mild reaction with anybody who takes it, but that is what builds an
immunity. And that weakened reaction is better than the full on flu any day, especially
when you are talking about H1N1.

Okay, so....Since the flu mist vaccine is the only H1N1 vaccine available right now, are you
getting it? My 12yo son is our Celiac; he's otherwise healthy but I do have concerns. I also
don't want to wait for whenever the injections are due on the scene.

PLEASE, don't rag on me for getting flu shots. I believe in them. If you don't, that's fine, but
what I'm interested in hearing is from people who are open to having this level of protection
and are or are not willing to risk taking the flu mist over the injection. Thanks.