From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:51:10 EST

When I was biopsy-diagnosed with CD about 15 months ago, my gastro doc told
me I also have Barrett's Syndrome/Esophague (BE) - a precancerous condition
of the Esophagus.  He seems to feel that being on a gf diet will treat the
Barrett's Syndrome as well as the CD. Needless to say, BE is directly related
to reflux.  He prescribed no drugs such as Prilosec.  He told me nothing
about alcohol and it's effect on BE.

However after checking the archives and other relevant online sites, I learn
that alcohol paralyzes the sphincter muscles at the opening to the esophagus
and must be strictly avoided.

My question is this - how many of you have been diagnosed with BE along with
the Celiac diagnosis?  Should I insist that my doc give me medication?  I
still have a problem with reflux although I never considered it reflux until
reading personal online descriptions.

Even though it's been over 15 months since the diagnosis, I'm just now
getting alarmed about the BE diagnosis.  I have another biopsy scheduled in
November and I guess my doc's thinking is that he'll assess the BE at that
time.

If any of you have had any experience with this, please get in touch with me.

Again, I appreciate all of the help ya'll have given me in the past.

Regards,

Linda in Savannah, GA