From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 23:49:05 -0700

I understand from reading the celiac archives that in Canada, confectioner's
sugar contains wheat starch (instead of corn starch). Sarah Rogers asked the
list:
>Speaking of confectioner's sugar, does anyone know how to make this out
>of grain sugar? I have lots of nifty high-tech cooking tools and wonder
>if any of them could grind sugar finely enough.

I was browsing in a (Canadian) book published in cooperation with the
Canadian Celiac Association and found a trick for making
icing/confectioner's/powdered sugar. It seems to require a food processor.

But first, credit where credit is due. The book is called <Full of Beans>
and is by Violet Currie & Kay Spicer. Publisher Mighton House; ISBN
0-9695688-1-9. I bought it when I purchased a bag of whole bean flour (from
romano beans), so the following bean flour distributors may  be selling the
book: In the U.S., call 909-865-1877; in Ontario, Canada, call
1-800-387-5292 or 416-291-3226; also: mail order from 519-348-4141. Some of
the recipes employ pureed cooked beans for a moist addition to our gf
baking. And now, The Trick:

Gluten-free Icing Sugar

1 cup granulated sugar (250 ml.)
1/2 tsp cornstarch (2 ml.)

In food processor, combine sugar and cornstarch. Process, scraping down
sides of container frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes or until very, very
finely ground and powdery.

Store in airtight container at room temperature. (Makes 1 cup.)

The book also contains recipes for gf baking powder and gf pasta. I'm
heading straight for the cookie recipes. Is there anything suspect I should
know about molasses?
Happy baking!

Mary Courtney
Los Angeles, California