From:
"John C. Paulsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:38:58 -0700

Hi List,What started out to be what I thought to be a rather innocuous
query,  "How can I make my GF bread rise at 5600 feet?", turned
into somewhat of a pandora's box. From the 27 responses to my query
(admittedly an infinitesimal number when compared to the number of
bread machines in use) I came to the following conclusion:

"From the responses, the problem of non-rising GF bread does not
seem to be limited to any particular machine (Oster, Zojirushi,
Welbilt, Hitachi) nor to any particular altitude(CO, ON, BC, KY,
TX, CA, IA, AR, etc.).  Rather, it seems to be a general problem
that bread machine users have resolved to their satisfaction and,
perhaps indirectly, for their local conditions."

With this in mind, the following summary of the responses will
perhaps provide ideas for areas one can look at in an attempt to
resolve the more general question:  How can I make GF bread rise
satisfactorily in a bread machine ?

-A few responders have simply quit using their bread machines and
rely on ready-made GF bread.

-Some have switched to using the bread machine only for mixing the
dough; removing the dough before the baking cycle, placing it in
loaf pans, letting the dough rise in the pans and then baking in
the oven.

-Key ingredients noted as being varied to suit the individual
machine or locality and thereby producing an acceptable product
were:
     -Yeast. Several mentioned the importance of fresh yeast. One
          got the best results by reducing the amount of yeast to
          no more than 1/2 TSP. A few favored one brand of yeast
          over another.
     -Xanthan Gum. A few got a good loaf by varying the amount of
          xanthan gum slightly. Primarily, don't forget it.
     -Eggs. A responder noted that duck eggs, being larger and
          richer, provided a better loaf.
     -Water. Many responders noted the importance of water in
          making a good dough consistency. One reported the need to
          adjust the amount of water in accordance with the ambient
          humidity of the area.
     -Salt. Two responders have gotten a good loaf by varying
          (decreasing) the amount of salt in the dough.
     -Temperature.  This was kind of a universal comment regardless
          of what ingredient was varied. Having  all of the
          ingredients at room temperature was emphasized
          repeatedly. Two responders noted that their best bread
          resulted when the ambient air temperature was high.

-Several responders mentioned the assistance from manufacturers as
being very helpful.  See the end of this summary.

-One responder has gotten good results by adding 1/4 TSP of
Vitamin C to the mix.

-A few responders recommended that the wet and dry ingredients be
initially mixed before being put in the machine.

-Two responders recommended contacting the local Cooperative
Extension Service office.  May or may not be through the local
college.

The use of the following sources was recommended by one or more of
the responders:(I have no connection with, or interest in, any of
the sources below.  Further, no importance is to be inferred from
the order in which the items are listed).

-Carol Fenster's book, "Wheat Free Recipes and Menus"

-All three of the Bette Hagman books

-"Miss Robens" recipes, see <http://www.jagunet.com/~msrobens>

-The Gluten-Free Pantry, (sandwich and French Bread mixes)

-Red Star Yeast at <1-800-4CELIAC>

-Cooperative Extension Service of Colorado State University in Ft
Collins, CO. (970)-491-6198

I'm sorry I could not come up with one magic formula for a good
loaf of GF bread in a machine at high altitude (or any altitude).
Apparently, we need to experiment to find what works in our area.
Thanks to all of you who responded. You've given me some great
ideas and places to go to help me make a good (high)loaf of GF
bread.
John in AZ