From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:01:10 -0800

my friend once made a non GF Barbie cake by just putting some plastic wrap around Barbie's legs and sitting her on top of a small sheet cake. another idea would be to use a bundt cake and stick her in the middle.I might then make a foil connecting skirt and then ice the cake and and the foil. just a thought, never tried it. I think I would definitely use a GF mix that you knew was good, like GF pantry

Pat

I did FINALLY have success with the Barbie cake but only After allot of trail and error.  I did get the "official dome" but I think that you could just bake in a stainless steel bowl and get the same effect.  As you know, our cakes just don't rise like the others do, so plan on making the dome and an 8 inch round too.  I did use a mix from kinnikinnick. (well..2...one for the dome and one for the 8 inch round)  I had to lower the temperature of the oven for the dome (round done separately) and put the whole dome into a large heavy stock pot to deflect some of the heat.  I covered it after the first 1/2 hour so the top wouldn't burn and just kept checking it.  Since I knew that the round was easy...I just focused on the dome and made it 3 times to practice.  (We ate lots of ex-dome cake!!)  It took me those trial and error tries to figure out how long to bake it so the cake was done on the inside.  I used butter instead of oil in the mix so it came out like an old-fashioned heavy
 butter cake.  It was yummy!  I was lucky that just as I was doing this, a bakery near me announced that they were starting with GF baking and though they didn't do a white cake yet, they'd be happy to frost it for me.  It was beautiful and yummy.  The kids didn't even notice.  They all ate the frosting like they always do before running back to the pool!  (This KILLED me though since I knew how long it took me to get it right!)  I hope that you have luck.  Please write back if you have anymore questions!-Susan

My mom has made a Barbie cake for my daughter before.  She used a medium sized glass bowl to bake the cake in.  She then took the legs off the barbie and inserted the top of her into the cake.  (It looked bad when she was pulled out legless!!)  Unfortunately, this cake was made prior to going GF, so I'm not sure how it would turn out now.  We made cupcakes with the Cause You're Special mix this weekend and they came out very nice.

I use only "Cause youre Special" moist yellow cake mix and it is just like the regular mixes so I cant see why it would not work with Barbie.  I am planning to make the Barbie dress cake this summer! Good luck!

I made a star wars cake using royal frosting. the recipe is available on many sites. It consists of confectioner’s sugar and water perhaps some butter. I really don't remember. I also have a flat barbie cake pan which you use a star tip and decorate following a pattern. It was not hard. To cheat I use a cake mix call the really great food company. The devil food mix is the best. I have tried a few others and they are the best. Expensive, but worth every penny. Good luck

My girls made a doll cake with their aunt.  I recommended the "Cause You're Special" yellow cake mix which they used.  Sometimes this cake doesn't cook in the middle even in a regular pan, so they ended up covering it in foil for the last 5-10 minutes to prevent the top from browning further.  In terms of the decoration/icing, my sister in law used whatever she uses to decorate regular cakes after she confirmed with me that all of the ingredients were gf. Go to the wilton website to check gf status of special decorations. No special accommodations were made--the tough part is knowing how to make a pretty doll!

A very simple and effective Barbie cake like you describe can be made by just freezing semi-melted GF icecream in a bowl of the correct size and shape (no need for a special pan) and then, once it's re-frozen, using a little warm water on the outside of the bowl to soften it enough to turn out.  Then you insert the doll in the upside down bowl shaped icecream  .You can easily decorate this "dress" using small sweets like marshmallows, M&Ms etc. just before serving.  As I'm not in the US,  I wouldn't know what's GF there but I'm sure you get the picture.  I did this years ago when my daughter was small.  I had an icecream mix which I coloured pink with food colouring before re-freezing but the melting and re-freezing method would work just as well.  It was easily the most successful party cake for impressing little girls (and their others!). Also it all got eaten which is not always the case with other cakes where children tend only to eat the icing. Hope this helps if not for the
 occasion you were planning, then maybe in the future.

Best GF wishes   Liz in Dublin, Ireland

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson