From:
Amy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:28:54 +0000

I recently posted ot the list about trying to get family members to
lighten up about my dietary requirements, and my mom not wanting to have
me or my gf kids present for a huge family get-together. I received many
supportive comments, like this one:

> It is a shame that someone who loves you would be so rigid and inflexible to
> accept the challenge and opportunity to learn new tricks for your benefit.

I appreciate your support, all of you.

I just feel the need to defend my mom a little...she's probably
undiagnosed CD or at least gluten intolerant. I say this based on family
history, plus her symptoms, not the least of which is the brain fog,
inability to concentrate (she hasn't read so much as a magazine in
ages!) and irritability we all seem to experience. So I sort of
understand and tolerate her inflexibility about the diet, knowing how
hard it was to learn everything about gluten and hidden gluten when I
was still in my own little brain fog, trying to get out.

For my mom, I'm hoping eventually she'll be won over to "our side,"
especially hoping that happens before someone tells here she's got colon
cancer or something. One key to convincing her will be making going GF
easy on her. Another key to it will be showing her the utmost respect.
And your comments about her behavior, while intended to be supportive,
indicate to me that I was less than respectful of her.

I apologize for that. GF or not, she's a great mom.

Thanks for being there, Listies!

Amy