From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 1995 16:49:49 -0400

>Also, given the fact that Celiac disease is funded (in the U.S. anyway)
>by the same agency that funds some much more devestating diseases such
>as AIDS, I won't hold my breath for a cure in my lifetime, and I'm only 34.
>
>My complaint is more against the labeling laws in this country that
>make it very difficult to determine if something is gluten-free or not.
>I think it is much more likely that we Celiacs could make gains in this
>area than in the area of a cure.

I totally agree with you, if there was more understanding from the medical
profession that celiac disease is a possible diagnosis for a multitude of
problems there would probably be more of us diagnosed.  If there were more
of use diagnosed it would probably be easier getting the labelling laws
changed to identify all ingredients and source of ingredients on laws.

I find it highly unlikely that this will occur considering that thru reading
the list numerous people have been told, you can't possibly be celiac and
the reluctance of doctors to test for it even when the patient is presenting
some very valid reasoning and proof that a celiac test is warranted.

There, now that's my 2 cents.

karen, edmonton, alberta, canada