From:
Kathy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:28:47 -0400

About a week ago, I posted a request that we not harass companies like
Fantastic Foods who use gluten free ingredients in many of their products,
but who do not use dedicated production lines or facilities.  Fantastic
Foods dry cleans the lines well between batches, and they wet clean them
every evening.

I have received responses from eight different list members supporting my
view on this.

I realize that celiacs have different degrees of sensitivity to gluten and
different tolerances for risk.  I think that we are split here because we
are forcing all foods to fit into one of two classifications, either gluten
free or not gluten free.  And our sensitivy level and risk preference define
for us what "gluten free" and "not gluten free" mean.

I propose that when we write to manufacturers for product information, that
we report it to the list as falling into one of the following four
categories instead:

gluten free ingredients, dedicated lines
gluten free ingredients, non-dedicated lines
gluten status unknown
contains gluten

If we did this, people would have more options and would be able to make
choices based on their level of sensitivity and/or risk tolerance.

Kathy
Pittsburgh,PA