Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 20:45:13 -0500

This is an old Italian family recipe I made tonight and my family went nuts
for it once again, this time around gluten free:

1 lb. Tinkyada pasta, any shape you like – shells are useful as it catches
the juice and peas more but I used fettucine tonight

1 lb. GF bacon (I used Whole Foods 365 brand flavored/colored by beet juice)

1 canned or frozen or fresh peas, small size good enough

1 canned or frozen or fresh lima beans, small size (lima beans are optional)

2 larger size shallots (or onions)

salt to taste

pepper to taste (or not – I use white pepper in this dish)

a dash of crushed red pepper, just a dash

1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley (flat leaf, not curly)

olive oil

in small amt olive oil sauté shallots or onions.  Remove from frying pan,
set aside.  In same frying pan, sauté bacon until crispy or however you like
your bacon cooked.  It is easiest to make crispy so it can crumble better.
Place bacon aside to crumble when cool, retain some or most of bacon grease
but strain it to remove burnt bits (I didn’t say this dish was heart
healthy, but I did say delicious).

Boil your pasta, drain and rinse.  Place pasta into large serving vessel so
you can toss all ingredients together.

Add your bacon grease, bacon bits, fresh parsley, peas, shallots or onions,
lima beans, salt and pepper, drizzle some olive oil if it looks too dry
still.  Toss well.  You may want to reheat the entire thing together but not
much – I just mix it and zap each dish in the microwave for 30 seconds or so
to reheat through.

Other hints – you can add anything else you like or omit – sautéed zucchini
is good in this too, also a touch of olives any type you like.  Adding a
touch of real butter makes this extra special for company if you wish.  The
peas & bacon (or pancetta) make it traditional though.  All of the
ingredients can be prepared ahead and added at the last minute to the pasta.
Even the bacon grease can be stored in the refrig and let stand at room temp
or microwave to liquefy.  Buono appetito!

No flaming allowed here about the bacon, eat it or not!