From:
Ellen Eagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 23:42:12 -0700

John,
        I live in South San Francisco. Although I don't often go downtown
to eat so I am unable to give you specific names of resteraunts, I can
assure you that you couldn't have picked a better place for a celiac to
visit than San Francisco. There are so many resteraunts of different
ethic cuisine that offer GF meals, that you shouldn't have a hard time as
long as you pick these particular cuisines and question them a bit about
their sauces. It can be a challange to get an answer that you feel
confident about as some of the servers in these resteraunts have a
limited knowledge of English. But it is possible to easily get a GF meal
if you go to almost any of the Oriental resteraunts (Chinese, Japanese,
Thai, Burmese, Cambodian), Mexican or seafood.
        When at an oriental resteraunt, ask that they omit the soy sauce.
Ask for chow fun (rice noodles, they're usually wider than the chow mein
noodles). Have the tacos, enchiladas or tostadas at the Mexican
resteraunt. Ask for broiled seafood at the seafood resteraunt.
        If you happen to have the celiac resteraunt card, bring that and
use it. I have one but haven't used it yet and I should.
        If you have any other questions, send me a private e-mail query
if you want. How long will you be in San Francisco?
        Sincerely,
        Ellen Eagan