Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:54:45 EST

Part 3 -parents comments (sorry for delay - I've been having some computer
glitches and this is my third try for part 3, so I'm breaking it up into part 3
and part 5 -hope it works!)
**************************************
Just sent my son to college.  Several colleges will work with you regarding
the Celiac diet, but many will not.  Many haven't even heard of Celiac
unfortunately.  Notre Dame is wonderful at handling special diets and has a great
cafeteria!  They treat the kids like family.  Arizona State doesn't get it even
though the dining manager says they will work with you, but they did not offer
to do anything special.  California Polytechnic in San Luis Obispo will work
with you and their meal plans are accommodating for these things and the
Executive Chef, Antonio, gladly works with your son/daughter to create special meals.
 University of Miami, which also has a great cafeteria, will work with you.
And Ball State's Dining Services Manager knows about Celiac Disease and lists
Celiac Disease/Gluten-free diet on their website in the Dining Services
section!  Illinois Institute of Technology does not have anything to help you with
special diets.
Some colleges have kitchens in the dorms for use by students.  Some say that
the student can use the kitchen in the RA's room.  It just depends on the
college and how they run their dining halls.  We tried to make it a very important
issue when we visited all the college campuses, for educating the people
there as well as for checking out the possibilities for our son.  If he can't eat
there, he won't go there.  Just be sure and check out their cafeteria(s) and
speak to the Dining Services manager directly when you visit or when you call.
Some colleges won't let the students bring any electrical appliances into
their rooms, no matter what, and others will.  It's so varied, you just have
to make sure you check it out at each possible college.

When we visited the colleges, we got the phone book about and checked for all
the "health food" stores around and visited the closest ones to see what they
actually had in stock and to see if they would special order products for
him.
        My son was "officially" diagnosed with CD at the age of 18 his
freshman year away at college.  He was already on a food plan and did not have
difficulty finding food on it.  He was living in a dorm so cooking wasn't an option
for him.  He did quite well and had a positive attitude about it.  His only
complaint was that pizza and beer with the guys turned into salad (no Croutons)
with "safe" french fries. Your daughter will do well with a
meal plan that allows choices and a talk with the food and nutrition service
director of her chosen school should help too!  Good Luck!
PS  my son graduated from Florida State, where the food and nutrition
director offered to make special foods for the CD kids!
My daughter was dx'd in senior year of high school and had her heart set on a
small private (catholic) college. The dietician researched celiac disease and
met with us to find out what foods we ususally ate at home but the food he
prepared was awful. He would make her a tray....which would be GF but also taste
free and cover it until she stopped by at mealtime. To be safe he made the
meals so plain that they were inedible. ...he just gave her plain everything.
The college allowed her to take the 10 meal a week plan usually only offered to
upper classmen but now that she is a sophmore she has not eaten one meal yet
in the caf. They refuse to let he opt out of the plan and they also force he to
take $100 flex per month to be used in a snack bar where the only GF foods
are chips and drinks. At the end of each semester we pull up to  the loading
dock and get about 6 cases of drinks to use up the unused dollars. She loves this
school but will be moving to an off campus apartment next year. Since
microwaves are forbidden in the dorm rooms she hides it under her bed. I cook a weeks
worth of meals  and she reheats them. Since she is only 1 hour from home she
comes home on weekends and gets some decent meals.
Celiac disease falls under the American with Disabilities Act but the gov't
funding is limited at a Catholic shool. I recommend either a state school or a
school that offers apartments. The common areas in my daughter's school have
microwaves coated in exploded ramen and easy-mac. My daughters classmates have
been wonderful....they bring their meals back to the room so she doesn't eat
alone and sometimes my daughter goes to the caf and gets a salad or some ice
cream just to be social.

My son goes to SUNY Cortland--they were well aware of celiac disease as they
have another student.  My son is not following the diet (against my wishes)
however, I MUST.  When I go there to visit for a weekend, the head of food
services makes special meals for ME!  And I'm not even a student!  So, I think if
you ask around, you will find more and more places willing to accomodate your
daughter!
I have a daughter who is living away at college and is a junior.  The best
advice I can give you is to do your homework ahead of time.  The first
college she attended said there would be no problem if she needed to live off
campus in order to cook for herself.  When that became a necessity because
the dorm/cafeteria food was making her sick, they did not keep their agreement
regarding her housing.  She has since transferred to a college that will allow
her to live off campus in order to prepare her own meals. Make sure that you
get a written agreement prior to making your commitment to a college/university.
My daughter is extremely happy with her choice and has joined a sorority in
order to be a part of campus life.