From:
Keith Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:15:16 -0400

        Hi, I am a thirty year old man who is in seemingly good health.
However; for the past 12 years I've had violent and painful adverse
intestinal reactions to dairy and other unidentified foods.  Lactaid
pills have helped the painful reactions, but do cause diarrhea and
excessive gas.  I still get the painful attacks from other unidentified
foods.  I did read something about a CD not being able to eat tomatoes.
I don't know if this is a forbidden food for CDs or not, but I do
remember having them prior to my last attack.

        I have been under the care of a number of different GIs who,
until my most recent, have simply said they don't know what's wrong just
"watch what you eat".  My most recent GI has the most documented cases
of CD in the country and feels as though I may have it.  He referred me
to a few different websites including this one to find support and to
have questions answered.  I'm due to go back for a second biopsy in a
few months.  In the meantime I need to lead a GF life.  The only problem
is I don't really know the "true" haves and have nots.  I know to stay
away from Wheat & Rye, but I am clueless as to the rest.

        I have a number of questions off hand, and would greatly
appreciate it if anyone could help me out:

1. Does anyone have a semi-detailed list of what cannot be eaten by a CD.

2. Can I eat Potato bread? (Specifically Stroeman Old Dutch Country), if
not is there any kind of non-wheat/rye bread that I can eat?

3. Can I eat sugar, if so what kind?

4. Can/Should I continue to eat dairy as long as I take the lactaid pills?

5. Can I eat any kind of Salad Dressing?

6. I lift weights and occasionally take protein supplements (ISOPURE).  Are
there any known safe protein supplements that promote muscle growth?

7. Can I drink coffee?

I'm sure that I have a million questions, but these are at the front of my
mind now.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am currently at the
tail end of a week long attack from something that I ate last week.  Thanks.

-Keith (NY)