From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:08:09 EDT

Good Morning List Mates.

I have still to receive three of my messages that I sent out previously. I
thought the messages might be helpful for some people when writing to their
congress persons. I am resending them this morning. This is part of my
original Part 3 post.

Sorry if there is any confusion.

I am sharing the following information from Andrea Slevario <
[log in to unmask] (ASL)> that was sent to the List and/or to me personally.

Subj:    FDA to Inspect for Allergens
Date: 6/27/01 6:09:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time

Earlier this week the "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, hoping to
reduce the number of incidents of allergic reactions to food, plans to
inspect up to 6,000 food and candy plants for potential allergens over the
next two years."

The importance of such an announcement to those with CD goes without saying.
However, please be aware, that the FDA sits in the most precarious position
in the world of government agencies.  They have the responsibility to ensure
that drugs, devices (pacemakers), and dietary supplements which make it to
market are safe, and do what they purport to do. They also are responsible
for inspecting imported foods, regulating information on food labels, and
inspect imported foods.

While being tasked to ensure the safety of all these things (and more) for
the consuming public, the agency's budget is in dire straits.  It does NOT
have the funds to carry out the functions already tasked to them.  When
accounting for inflation, their budget has decreased over the past several
years.

When you write your members of Congress about labeling for those additional
allergens, make a plea for funding for FDA to carry out the additional tasks!

Andrea

Thank you to everyone who is working so hard to get the food labeling
improved.

Submitted by:

Nancy
Seattle, WA