Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:21:03 -0500

I am able to report that the October 1993, issue of The Celiac Action Line,
says, "A Spanish report written in 1992 has brought forth the issue of the
amount of gliadin in alcoholic beverages. . . . The highest gliadin level was
found in a well known cognac that is sold in the US."  The CAL does not name
the brand of cognac.
Also, the April 1994, issue of CAL says, "It is hard to associate wine. . .as
not GF. . . .the major sources of contamination:  1.  Is the yeast that is
added to facilitate fermentation GF?  2. Is the fining agent used to remove
sediment and proteins GF?  3. Are the filters GF?  4.  Is the wine fortified.
. . and is the alcohol from a GF substance? . . .
Distilled wines, as in brandy, have additional sources of gluten."  It does
not elaborate, unfortunately.
My prefered brandy is Stock '84, an Italian brandy.  Possibly another
listmember will be able to make more useful comments about its and other
brandys and cognacs GF status.  For me, until then, I'll stick with Luksusowa
vodka.
Angelo Giannitelli