From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:59:48 -0400

Here are some personal experiences at restaurants sent to be by
list-members.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

++++++++++

SHONEYS
(1)  I lead a support group in Branson, Missouri, and I had previously
contacted Shoneys about a GF menu as we have one locally.   The menu
that they sent me contained some obvious things that needed to be
questioned.  I repeatedly emailed the service rep until we got all of
the questionable things addressed.  I see that they are no longer listed
on the menu as GF.  For one thing, the staff was unaware that foods that
were fried in oil that had previously held non-GF breaded items would
not be GF.  We got that straightened out right away.  It looks like they
have considerably pared down the GF menu from what they first sent out
to me."

(2)  "Be very careful at Shoney's Buffet.  We found it to be cross
contaminated , not to mention that our waiter was horrible and the front
end was not the cleanest.  I am sure the back end was worse.  Our
instincts told us to leave but it was late and we were tired.  We ended
up with a sick child due to gluten on vacation (Orlando FL).""

(3)  "I don't think Shoneys understands cross-contamination from the
grill.  They may not even know what gluten is.  I have found, when not
certain, it is a good idea to have them make items in a clean pan with
butter (or bring along some olive oil), and use clean utensils."
(8/2003)

OLD COUNTRY BUFFET/Hometown Buffet/Country Buffet/Tahoe Joe's/Country
Roadhouse
(1)  "I eat at Old Country Buffet.  I just focus on plain foods.  They
use dried spices and a margarine called Whorl on many plain dishes.  If
I could track down the manufacturer of Whorl, it would be helpful.
Foods I eat include salad fixings (I bring a small squirt bottle filled
with olive oil and squeeze lemons on my salad), roast chicken (has
soybean oil and spices on it) - not the fried or breaded kind, the white
baked plain fish fillets (has paprika and Whorl), corn, green beans,
cabbage, cooked carrots, baked potatoes, boiled new potatoes. I put
butter on the potatoes - real butter, the individually wrapped pats.
Also sour cream - hasn't caused me a problem.  I drink water and squeeze
lemons in that, too."

(2)  "I was recently forced to eat at Old Country Buffet (bus tour, food
depleted). I had called ahead and gotten the same response you got.
Nevertheless I was able to eat a salad (brought my own dressing) and
baked potato. The potatoes were in their own aluminum foil and the real
butter was in its own individual packets. I would not of my own choice
go to Old Country but I was able to eat safely in a pinch."