From:
deni hansen-gray weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:21:22 -0500

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query about Boston contact lens
solution.  The unanimous response was that Boston causes no reaction even in
those extremely sensitive to gluten.

However, I received so many comments telling me that because one is not
ingesting the solution there is no problem whether or not the solution would
contain gluten, that I feel I must respond to the list about this subject.

I may be opening a can of worms here - but that statement is quite
misleading.

I have celiac.  I also have extreme reactions to gluten.  I may be allergic
to gluten as well.  For me *please notice I am referring to myself and
myself, alone, at this point*, I am unable to have contact with gluten in
any way, shape, or form.  Diagnosed in 1991, I responded in *typical*
manners.  I had lost over 75 pounds of body weight.  I was so malnourished,
I was losing function in my fingers and toes as my nerve endings retracted
to protect my spinal cord and brain.  I had capillaries spontaniously
explode.  I had almost constant abdominal pain and typical stool problems.
My reaction to gluten once diagnosed was almost instant diarrhea and
vomiting.  However, in 1995, after accidental ingestion in a restaurant, I
had an anaphalactic respose to gluten.  My blood pressure dropped, my tounge
and throat swelled to the point I could hardly breathe.  I went into shock.

*Very long story here about hospital nightmare and being fed gluten that I
will not go in to here.*  Since that time, convulsions have reared their
ugly head as my main reaction to gluten.  I have reacted to ingestion.  I
have reacted to injection.  I have reacted topically.  I need to know the
gluten content of any food, medication, product etc as it is life
threatening for me not to do so.

I understand few people react as severely as I do.  (However, remember too,
that I reacted *normally* for 5 years.)  I *have* to err on the side of
caution.  My life is at stake here.

(And as for the concept that one would not ingest contact solution, fluids
fromthe eyes drain into the nasal cavity (ever had your nose become runny
when you cried???) and secretions, solutions etc can be swallowed - even in
minute amounts.)

There has been recent controversy on the list as to how much gluten is
acceptable and what processes *should* remove gluten.  My husband has
responded to the distillation process posts with enlightening information.
Please look at his posts in the archives.  I understand *some* - perhaps
most celiacs do not have to be as careful as I do - but some of our lives
depend on complete, accurate information as to the minute amounts of
potential gluten in foods/ meds so we can make judgement calls when we need
to.  Please, please, please, be tolerant of other peoples needs.  We are in
this together.

Please do not email me telling me I am wrong, or that there is something
wrong with my take on gluten/celiac.  I know how I react.  I know what I
need to know to stay alive.  Please be aware that people on this list have

*many* diverse needs.

deni weber
Valparaiso, IN
USA