From:
john wynhausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:24:59 -0500

I just returned from a trip to South India where I had little trouble
finding gluten free food in most little resturaunts.
Some great breakfast/snack items included:

Idilis  ( pronounced like Italy+s )  Idilis are little steamed buns made
with rice and urrad dal.  They are very plain so they are usually served
with a spicey broth called Sambar and a type of cocconut chutney unique to
South India.

A similar food is a thin crisp pancake made of the same mixture folded
around a spicy potato mixture that is called masala dosa.  It too is served
with sambar and chutney.

And yet another is a small donut made with the same basic mixture that is
deep fried. It is called Vadai. Served with the same condiments.

For lunch there is what is called a Thali. ( Tali ) It is a combination of a
number of curries served with rice but it does tend to include Chapatis ( a
flat wheat bread ) . I just skipped the Chappati.  Thali's tended to be all
you could eat from a price range of
$0.30 to $1.00.  Sometimes they come pretty spicy.

On the street there were lots of vendors selling fried creations made with a
mixture of spices and garbanzo beans.  These tended to be delicious.

Then sugar cane happened to be in season so fresh sugar cane juice mixed
with lime and ginger was a real treat on hot afternoons.

There were certain sweets available made with gram flour and ghee.  These
were incredibly rich and delicious.

Of course, coconuts and papayas and chiku ( a very sweet fruit not found in
the West that know of ) and a variety of bananas, guavas and more
traditional western fruits like watermelons, grapes, apples and oranges were
available.

For the non vegetarian, there were plenty of choices as well.

All in all the eating was good and the South Indian cuisine offers a lot of
very tasty inspiration for those who are looking for gluten free alternatives.