From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:52:50 EDT

After receiving the post from Pat who stated that she feels bad on
gluten, but her biopsy came back negative, I had the following thoughts
and wondered if anyone had done any research on it.

I have a soy intolerance that is not a soy allergy, as well as a gluten
intolerance.  The soy intolerance does not strip the colon of it's villi, BUT
it makes me feel just as bad as when I eat gluten.  I am also undiagnosed as I
went GF two years before I knew about the biopsy and because slight gluten
encounters made me so sick, I wasn't about to do a long challenge.  Pat stated
that she was only on gluten for two weeks before the biopsy.  I don't know if
that was enough to tell if one is truly CD, but let's say that it is a true
negative.  She says she feels terrible when not CF.

Does that mean that she can tolerate gluten?  I (unprofessional opinion) do not
think it means a thing.  Why can't you have a gluten intolerance that is not CD
the way people have, lactose, soy, corn etc. intolerances.  If it makes you
feel bad, it is not good for you no matter what the medical profession thinks.
In many intolerances to food, there is no definative test the way there
is to allergies.  Dr. Posenecker of Quakertown PA who has been treating adrenal
weakness for over 35 years states in his book states that if you continue to
stress your system with what makes you sick, it may well create lasting effects
such as adrenal weakness, and other auto immune deficiencies.  My thinking
would be, "listen to your body"

Does anyone else know of any research on the subject of non-celiac
gluten intolerance?

Carol in NJ