From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:05:40 -0400

After my recent post about Burger King converting their experimental
'stealth' fries to a gluten free formula using potato starch, I received
a private email about cross contamination.  The author said he has a
friend who used to work at a fast food unit, and that when it gets very
busy, "all hell breaks loose" and corporate policy on the isolation of
fries from breaded products is ignored.  The author implied that while
this is not a typical event, it happens often enough that celiacs should
consider fast food fries off-limits at any restaurant which has any
fried breaded products anywhere in the store.

Since receiving this email, I have made it a point to closely question
the manager at every McDonald and Burger King unit which I have visited.
With three young children in my family and with some summer vacation
travel, there have been perhaps a dozen different units visited.  I
tried to ask in a very non-threatening way, something like:

"My son has a special diet, and I've heard that even though your policy
is to never fry onion rings or other breaded products in the French fry
oil, that at some units this does occur during very busy periods.  I can
understand how this might happen, and just wanted to ask how often you
have seen this, so I can make a decision about what's best for my child"

I have not found a single manager who would admit that they have seen
this commingling.  Several went out of their way to say "It would be
easy for me to tell you that just to be safe, you should avoid our
fries.  That would be legally expidient, but honestly, I've never seen this
happen at my store."

I certainly am not claiming that cross-contamination never occurs at McDonalds
or Burger King, only that I have not yet uncovered any (except once 2 years ago
outside Santa Fe, and they readily disclosed this once I asked).

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had different
experiences, particularly people who have personally worked at McDonalds
or Burger King.  Please write to me privately at <[log in to unmask]> and
I will summarize the results for the List.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles