From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 07:21:43 -0700

     I have discovered a new indulgence for those of us who dote on
expensive chocolate truffles and flourless cakes, and spend far too
much of our money on them.
     Black Hound make the best and most expensive chocolates in New
York City, and they do mail order, too. I checked with the company,
and here is the good news:
     Their flourless cakes are all GF; the best, as far as I'm
concerned, is the chocolate cloud cake. The six-inch cakes are $16.50
retail, $22 if mail order; the 10 inch cakes are all $45.
     I did say they were expensive. Look at it this way, they make
great presents when you have to take a cake to somebody's house. Just
make sure you stick around to eat them.
     Of the chocolate truffles, the bittersweet dark, the milk
chocolate, and the white chocolate are all GF. Buy the liqueur
truffles only if you have no problems with the liqueurs: Grand
Marnier, Creme de Menthe, etc.
     The truffles  are superb. They are also $35 the pound, a fact
that almost deterred me from buying them when I went to their East
Village store. But then it struck me that they would make a very
thoughful gift for a celiac, so I bought half a pound and thoughfully
presented them to my favorite celiac: me. I ate them on my way home,
and I am here to tell you that the chocolate high lasted for hours.
     The nut confections are also GF: sugar spice pecans, almond
petals, chocolate almond bark, chocolate hazelnut clusters, hazelnut
brittle, and sherried almond brittle.
      The Manhattan store is at 149 First Avenue, 212-979-9505. For
mail orders and catalogue requests, call 1-800-344-4417.
                        Regards to all, Mary in NYC