From:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:47:12 -0800

Hello everyone,

I've been noticing many references to getting "Blasted or Flamed" lately and
have decided to put my quarter's worth in.  I have not posted on this forum
before now, but have recently answered a few questions privately.  I've never
had anyone be nasty with me, but it might happen now.  -  Everyone needs to
remember that any information shared, posted, asked, or given is usually done
with good intent.  - Sometimes people may not have the correct information,
but everyone is allowed to make mistakes.  Rarely does someone intentionally
mislead nor mean to react rude, but people do have strong opinions (self
included).

Isn't it each of our jobs to verify information for our own situations?  If
someone is incorrect in a post so what?  You verify don't you?  -  I can't
imagine anyone getting blasted or flamed in what is supposed to be a helpline
for people who share a common problem.  -  We are all different and may each
react in different ways and may have different information from differing
sources.  - Some have newer information than others. -  No one could possibly
have all the answers!  -  Not even the scientists do, they are in the process
of learning more about CD and DH  every day... thank GOD... and so are we.
No two people are alike and no two celiacs are either, we all know that.
Any person who is intentionally being rude to another person on this forum
isn't worth the effort to get upset over and I understand that some people
are more sensitive than others, too.

** McCann's Oats Information **

Sorry, I did not see the original posts about McCann's Oats, but here is my
input:   Last year at the 2001 Annual Celiac Disease Conference & Food Faire
we learned that it had been scientifically proven that we celiacs CAN have
oats providing they are not cross contaminated with wheat or other offending
proteins.  Oats themselves are ok. Further, the problem is that in the U.S. &
Canada all oats are subject to cross-contamination in the field and at
manufacturing facilities.  They also indicated that if we could find a source
from a country not as 'preoccupied' with wheat production and adding it to
most anything packaged in the food industry; that we would likely have no
problems as it would be much less likely to be 'contaminated'..

We soon found McCann's made in Kildare, Ireland (widely available, here in
Southern Calif., in major grocery store chains and many health food & import
markets) stores.  We checked their web site at www.mccanns.ie, clicked on FAQ
and the gluten answer sure seemed more like a legal precaution than a warning
about gluten content.  -  So, next I tried it... with no problems after two
weeks of regular consumption.  -  Then shared it with a few celiacs who are
quite gluten reactive...they had no problems either.  -  Finally, we started
sharing it in baked products at our local CDF connections meetings and not
one person has had any complaints to my knowledge.  -  Just raves and thanks.
Many are consuming it on a regular basis now and are so grateful for the
variety it's added to both breakfast choices and baked goodies.  This has
been many months now of no problems with McCall's for well over twenty people
who have CD, DH or (both as do I) in our East San Gabriel Valley (ESGV) / CDF
Connections meeting.  We have shared this information with those who are home
bound and unable to attend meeting, as well, with no complaints.

When Elaine Monarch came to our June 2002 meeting, my daughter baked ninety
crispy oatmeal cookies and they all everyone gobbled them up and took a few
home.  By popular request we printed our G/F modified family recipe which she
submitted to the CDF Newsletter/ Summer 2002 issue.  (Obviously the people
wanting the recipe hadn't had any problems with the McCann's Oatmeal, they
just wanted more cookies.)   I did get a couple of emails asking about
McCann's  "How did I know it was gluten free?"  and had my husband point
inquiries to the McCann's website without adding much dialogue, as I was in
the hospital (not celiac related) at the time.

As the co-faciliator of a CDF support group I am so careful not to make
someone sick with the food & goodies that we bring to meetings. With this
product seeming so controversial and -"old info. being so hard to replace
with good new info."'- we listed all the ingredients on an index card and
posted the recipe in front of the cookies when we shared them.  Ultimately,
each person must decide for themselves; but by now with so many celiacs
having no ill effects for so long, I Kind of feel sad for those who haven't
added this to product to their diets.

We always suggest that anyone who wishes to try it... first try it as a bowl
of cereal for several days and to be careful not to introduce anything else
new to their diet during the 'oats trial period'.  Then if no problems get
out your bake ware and have a blast!  There are many great recipes on their
website,  but of course we are partial to our own family favorite "Grama's
Crispy Oatmeal Cookies" .  It is a lacy, delicate cookie, not soft and chewy
although we like that kind, too.  If anyone wants the recipe I will post or
send direct depending on amount of inquiries.

One word of caution might be in order for anyone who also has diverticulitis;
the added fiber might be a problem for them, but that's a separate issue.

BTW & FYI: I am not a medical professional nor do I have any affiliation with
McCann's.  I am only a consumer of their product and a volunteer for CDF's
Connections support group in my area.  The information I've shared here is
only from my own experience and opinions are my own.

Happy Thanksgiving and regards to all,

Arletta Johnson

G/F means: Good Food, Good Friends, Good Fun!