From:
Rose Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:38:58 -0600

Dear Listmembers,

After 22 years, I thought I had made every mistake about this disease.  I
should have known better.  I had been trying to get a consult with a celiac
knowledgeable doctor three hours away.  I was due for a colonoscopy, so I
scheduled one along with an endoscopy (possible refractory sprue) with a
local surgeon who had put in my LifePort.  I asked him where he usually sent
his biopsies.  He told me he would be happy to send them "anywhere" in the
world to be checked.  On the morning of the surgery, I reminded him and the
anesthesiologist.  The surgeon knows my past history and I usually see him
on a casual basis on my 3X/week visit to the ER.

After the procedures, which went very well, he said I had gastritis and
diverticulosis and showed me some pictures he had taken.  Sunday night I
asked him when the biopsies would be back - he said he had asked his nurse
to call me because there was a small polyp - nothing serious.  No problem -
had them before.  When she called yesterday, she said she had no idea where
he had gotten that info - he had taken NO BIOPSIES.  I remained calm and
told her to gently tell him that celiacs are diagnosed by biopsies and I had
specifically requested them - multiple ones since my last ones 3 years ago
were spotty.  I also asked how I could approach my insurance company if the
gastro wants another (I"m on 100% coverage now).  She had no clue.

So once more, I'm turning to some of the 3000 of you (congrats List-owners)
to see if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Thanks for listening,

Rose Mary in W. Ky.