From:
"S. Mcleod" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Mcleod
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:46:14 +1200

Brief Summary:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I have received 35 replies to date, most
saying it was
contact dermatitis, a reaction to adhesives or to latex which can happen
regardless of whether one has CD, but may be more common in those who have
allergies of some sort because their skin may be more sensitive. A few do
have a specific gluten-related reaction either because of gluten in the
bandaid or they are more/less sensitive when gf. Certain brands cause more
problems, and since we had two different brands at home it may explain why
the rash only happened sometimes. The one that caused the latest major
reaction was a cheap brand used at school.

My Solution:
I think my daughter could be reacting to the adhesive, perhaps made worse by
the recent gluten accident. Since she likes having bandaids on I'll have to
pay more attention to which brand we use and whether it causes a reaction.
I  am trying 3M Nexcare Comfort and have bought a packet of Elastoplast
Sensitive for use at school. I put some hydrocortizone 1% cream on the
affected area last night and the redness has gone but the skin's still
raised.

Brands mentioned that may cause rashes:
Johnson & Johnson (who make "Band-aid" brand)
Bactrine
Curad
Curad Sheer
Other items that also may cause rashes:
White cloth medical tape
surgical glue
Sticky electrodes
Neomycin in Neosporin cream (applied separately)
Latex gloves, balloons etc
Stickers  (ie decorative paper ones that children like)

Brands that are gluten free (according to people writing to me)
3M Nexcare (most recommendations, BUT packet warns they contain latex)
Neosporin bandaids
Also recommended are:
Curad Sensitive Skin
Elastoplast
Clear perforated medical tape
Gauze plus Paper tape
Opthalmic bandage
Skin Prep - to apply before before putting on bandaids

Quotes from some of the replies - for those interested - with my comments in
brackets:
(These are primarily CD related but people without CD can have
adhesive and/or latex allergies):

I cannot wear bandaid brand bandages at all or the rash I get is worse than
the original injury. And it takes a long time to heal.  The
rash starts to form within minutes and it actually begins to burn that
quickly.  If I take it off right away, the rash heals in day or so.

That was one of my worst problems before I was diagnosed with sprue.  Any
time that a band-aid was on me for a couple of days, I had a DH type of
reaction. These days, it is not as bad, but still can be a problem.

I had the very same problem and thought the same thing.  I have T-1
diabetes, DH, CD, psoriasis and sjogrens disease.

I have a similar rash reaction to any adhesives placed against the skin. My
allergist said it has nothing to do with gluten, but rather a reaction to
the adhesive itself, also possibly latex.  She said people with allergies or
intolerances typically have very sensitive skin and react easily to
chemicals (such as adhesives), and having had a recent reaction to one of my
food allergens would make my skin extra sensitive and I would likely have a
larger/stronger reaction.

Latex allergy is cumulative. The more a person is exposed to Latex, the
greater the chances of a full blown allergic reaction occurring down the
road. My younger daughter with Latex allergy has an identical reaction to
bandaids as the one you described in your post.

After being gf for a few years, I noticed a reaction to some bandaids.
Apparently I am now allergic to latex as I had to find panties without
elastic bands around legs.

I know the nexcare brand is GF, that its adhesive is fine and I don't react
to it at all. I'm biopsied celiac and have dh and additionally have a super
sensitive skin which welts up when I try on  clothes. So you can be sure
this nexcare brand is fine.

This sounds like a classic tape allergy, a form of contact dermatitis. It
can occur in people who have other allergies including celiac just from
their immune sytems being revved up.

Many people have an allergic reaction to adhesive in bandaid tape. I always
have to have that specified on my wrist band when I'm hospitalized. They
need to use paper tape.

Many people get a rash from the adhesive on bandaids, tape, sticky
electrodes used in the hospital.  As a Pediatric nurse I've seen it on CD
and non-CD alike.

I have had several operations and I always got a rash from the glue. When
they changed it to nonallergic or silk, I had no problems.

I don't understand why bandaids would make us break out because the gluten
is
only supposed to hurt us if ingested unless we have DH, which I don't.  I
also found I have more of a skin reaction to the sticky stuff on the parts
of my body that aren't as "weathered", such as the inside of my arms (as
opposed to the side that gets exposed to the sun) or on my abdomen.

I know I'm allergic to most bandaids. I get red bumpy rashes that itch like
crazy where the adhesive is, and if I don't find another way to cover the
injury, the rash even bleeds... I am also allergic to almost all topical
antibiotics, and use only
alcohol or hydrogen peroxide for broken skin.

I just went through an experience where I needed the new Advanced Healing
Band-Aids for two large scrapes.  After wearing the bandages for several
days, I began to itch around the edge of the bandage and finally had to give
up wearing them because I was reacting to them. I was not like this as a
child, but for the last few years have hated to have to wear a Band-Aid
because it will invariably leave a rash where the
sticky part contacted my skin.  My 'solution' has been to trim off as muchof
the adhesive portion as possible, leaving only enough to keep the bandage
on.

(If changing brands doesn't work the following may help:)
Check your local supplier of dressing change products; it will have to be a
place that supplies things like colostomy appliances and bulk
dressing-change supplies, perhaps a store that carries a lot of
home-health-care products.  Get some "Skin Prep".  It's used as a barrier/
skin protector under colostomy appliances and for dressings.  Here in the
states it comes in a small foil packet like an alcohol swab does.  You swab
it onto the skin and first gets tacky, then dries.  If you apply the bandaid
when its tacky it will keep it from coming off.  If you wait til it dries
the skin prep forms a shiny film, a barrier on the skin, and should prevent
the rash. If it goes by another name there the description should get you
the right stuff.

(For those who react to neomycin:)
I visited a dermatologist for an annual skin exam.  She biopsied something
on my chest and I got a reaction from the the bandaid to keep it covered.
When I went for a followup, she said 95% of people have a rash like reaction
to neosporin (which I put on under the bandaid) due to one single ingredient
in it - neomycin.  She recommended either bacitracin or polysporin -
something that does NOT contain neomycin.  My chest area itched like crazy
and had a heat rash like look to it.

(And for those who react to insect bites:)
I used to react to insect bites until I went gluten free, dairy free, nut
free, sugar free, additive free.. Now I have no problems. Your daughter will
improve too. (I think she has, but will find out for sure in summer since
she's only been gf since autumn - southern hemisphere)

I also react badly to insect bites, but most especially to tick bites.  Not
as badly as I did in the past as I am taking some vitamins that apparently
have changed my body chemistry enough that insects don't bother me as much
as they used to. The ticks still love to bite me though! I am not a
diagnosed celiac,
but tested gluten intolerant through Dr. Fine's genetic test.

Thanks again for all your help; I've learnt a lot and I'm sure it will help
others.
If anyone has anything new to add to the above I will post another summary.
Stella.