From:
Angelica Tudini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:11:57 -0700

Thanks to all the people that answered my questions. Here is a short
summary:

Question 1): Is it possible to recognize symptoms after accidentally
eating small gluten quantities?

Many people reported that they do indeed have short term reactions from
eating gluten by accident and all cases are quite serious. The pain
lasts  from four days to three weeks.  I could not relate any of this
symptoms to my experience so I guess it is difficult to generalize and
that I am one of those people that are just not able to  recognize their
reaction.

one respondent  thinks that reaction can be due to inflamed intestines -
possibly as a consequence of  not well balanced diet - that cause extra
sensitiveness  to everything, even trace amounts. The same thing could
happen soon after being first diagnosed but it is likely that effects
from trace gluten decrease over time.

Finally, another responded reported becoming very ill after ingesting
small amount of gluten over a period of time.

Question 2)  GF sour cream?
The following brands were suggested: Tillamook Sour Creams of all
fat/non-fat strengths, and cheeses (information from the CSA/USA guide to
gluten free commercial products, 1996 edition);  Land O'Lakes brand
(Regular,  low-fat or no-fat);  GF according to Tri-County group's
shopping guide.

 Other people just read the label to find one without modified food
starch or one that clearly  says  gelatin or starch from corn.

Question 3) Is milk with vitamin A & D added GF?
no one knows of cow's milk with added vitamins being a problem for people
that aren't lactose intolerant

Question 4) Why the list states that San-J soy sauce is GF, when "wheat"
is on the label?
Sorry, as many of you noticed, I just got the wrong one. San J makes
several types of soy sauce.  One of them is  a wheat free Tamari Sauce,
that clearly states "wheat free" on the label! Others suggested
alternative brands: La Choy regular, Chun King.

One person warned that errors are possible in messages on the list due to

regional variations within  the same product.

Question 5) Should I assume that cheese is GF, when there are no
ingredients on the label?
The answers I received say that if no ingredients are listed, it should
be ok, because the product is made from milk and the appropriate
cultures.

One person advised to stay away from real french roquefort  cheese, since
they use bread to start the mold.

Question 6) Can gluten be found in corn tortillas?
No one is aware of possible problems with this product.

Finally many thanks to Janet for sending a useful list of GF products
that will certainly help me to adjust to the new country!

Angelica