From:
Dawn Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:27:36 EST

Hi gang!

Does anyone know of a good celiac doctor in the U.S.?  One that would help a
non-diagnosed celiac??  Recently, Ethan asked if there were any good doctors
in L.A.  The answer came up no, none, zip-o.  However, my brother is so sick,
any doctor in the U.S. will do.  He's had a reaction to gluten (diarrhea) all
his life and he was even diagnosed as a baby as having an allergy to wheat.
However, he's not a diagnosed celiac which is where the problem comes in.
He's been on a gluten-free diet for about four years and has improved
tremendously (he was close to dying when he went gf).  However, he went gf on
his own; not with a doctor's suggestion/advice.  He had been showing continue
improvement until a year ago, then he started losing foods again.  He lost
sugar, then rice, then potatoes (he has never been able to digest vegetables
or fruits).  And now, he's down to meat and cheese only.  I'm sure he's
suffering terrible malabsorption.  However, getting a celiac doctor to take
him seriously when he's not officially diagnosed is extremely hard.  And the
problem with a regular doctor is that they aren't able to see the whole
picture.  So basically, he needs a doctor who would treat him without going
through the official diagnosis/gluten challenge (he'd never be able to
survive it).  Anyways, thanks for letting me ramble on.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dawn
Los Angeles