From:
Juanita Ohanian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:47:01 EDT

According to the Envelope Manufacturers Association, located in Alexandria,
VA., there are only a few glue manufacturers.  The lady that I spoke with there
said she happened to have a medical background and knew about celiac.  She
said the ingredients in the glue used on envelopes was made with modified corn,
potato or tapioca starch.
She told me to call the National Starch & Chemical headquarters in N.J. and
they could verify what she said.

I called them and they switched me to the Adhesive Division, Technical
Support  who told me that they only use corn and tapioca in the adhesives.  She then
offerred  to send me the letter which I posted earlier today on this list.

I happen to own a printing company and buy skids of envelopes to print and
thought I could find out if the glue had gluten in it.  There are only a few
paper manufacturers in the US.  Mainly International Paper, Georgia Pacific,
Alco. They buy their adhesives from National Starch & Chemical.    The paper is
sold to distributors who sell it under different labels, but it all comes from
about 3-4 manufacturers.

I am celiac, also, and very sensitive to gluten, therefore, would not want to
ingest even the slightest bit.  I feel certain with the information that I
was given today, that the glue is gluten free.

I don't know if envelopes would be imported from other countries and maybe
use a different based glue, but I am waiting for a call back from someone else
at the National Starch & Chemical Co. to discuss that with him.  I will post
what I find out about envelopes manufactured outside the US.  I will also try to
find out the chance of us getting envelopes from outside the US, too.
Juanita