From:
Timia R Conjurske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:58:01 EDT

Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my question on whether
celiac ever causes high levels of C-reactive protein.

The answers were, yes, undiagnosed celiac can cause elevated levels of
CRP, as can many other diseases and conditions.  It is a totally
non-specific test, and just shows that there is inflammation and
"something going on".  It can also be used to detect people at risk for
heart attacks.

The replies were extremely helpful to me, and I'm very grateful to all of
you.  My friend has very many of the symptoms of CD, but because of
elevated CRP and sedimentation rate it was seemingly just going to be
assumed that he had Rhematoid Arthritis, because he also has sore joints.
 Not one Dr. ever mentioned the possibility of CD to him, though he
appears to have MORE symptoms of that than of just RA.  I wasn't looking
for the elevated CRP to diagnose CD or anything, but just if it was
possible to get a reading like that if CD was present instead of RA, and
the replies were wonderful!

Thank you all so much,

Timia