From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:04:52 -0700

List,

As promised, the fruits of a little research I did on bone-friendly
diet:
FOODS FOR BONES

Framingham Osteoporosis Study (abstract) finds base-forming foods
associated with higher bone mineral density and less BMD loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11842948

Table of base- and acid-forming foods

  http://www.dietobio.com/dossiers/en/pH/acid_base.html

 From the Surgeon General’s Report on Osteoporosis, a table showing
various nutrients and their impact on bone health (including some that
are acid-forming, contrary to the Framingham Osteoporosis Study
referenced above).

  http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Bone_Health/Nutrition/other_nutrients.asp

dried plum (prunes) may build bone

  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19274852?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

  calcium from diet better at building bones than supplements:

  http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSCOL76974220070627

colas, but not other soft drinks, associated with lower bone mineral
density.

  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/53642.php

And here, from a woman in New York, the beef bone soup recipe that may
be a great idea and is charming besides:

I do what my wise mother-in-law European peasant woman did for bones:

Soup:

cow feet, or veal shank bones, or beef marrow bones.  Chicken innards
just for taste.

Vegetables as in whatever is in the fridge that you don't need for
anything else.

Bay leaf, any other herbs

1 tsp cider vinegar (not salt!!!)

Cover with water.  Simmer for 6 to 8 hrs.  Strain and cool.  Skim off
the fat. Drink a cup every day or use as the base for any soup (or
build a house out of what is in the container after you skim off the
fat).